Chapter 36

"This is my friend Hailey," Daniel introduces me casually

Daniels father is the same height as him and looks much like an older version of his son. He has few streaks of grey in his hair, giving him a professional edge, and even his regular clothes look neat and sophisticated in some way. I'm assuming as a software architect he's used to a business suit, or is that just my imagination? Facial features are quite similar to Daniels, strong jaw, prominent cheekbones, blueish maybe green eyes, and the same charming smile. "It's nice to meet you, Hailey. I'm George, Daniels father."

I try to match his kind smile. "It's nice to meet you too. Sorry for my. . ." I peer down at my pajamas and George finds this amusing, but in an 'adult' way, the look where their eyes almost squint as their smile grows, maybe a little eyebrow-raising too.

"Don't worry, we're pretty casual around here," he waves me off. "What are you two up to?"

Anxious from a lack of an answer, I am thankful when Daniel takes over. "Just hanging around. Nothing specific."

"Alright. I know it's Friday, but Mike has to get up early for a flight, so if you don't mind keeping it down."

Daniel nods. "No problem."

I stand beside him, wondering what George must think we're up to. It almost brings a blush to my cheeks, embarrassed by the thoughts I am imagining for him. Keep it down? Keep what down? What have I gotten myself into?

George begins to drift away. "Well, we're off to bed. It was great meeting you, Hailey. Please, make yourself at home."

Awkwardly, I struggle to answer. "O-okay, thank you. . . Sir," I call as he is entering the hallway off to the right side. He then disappears and I look to Daniel who says nothing before walking further into the house, and I trail behind him, wondering what we are going to do. "Where are we going?"

Daniel stops in front of a door and glances back at me while opening it.

It's his bedroom.

My mind flourishes with curiosity, maybe a similar feeling he felt before he explored mine. I wander through as he follows behind, my heart racing. Daniel leaves the door open—I am thankful for that—and he watches me closely as I drift around. I can feel his eyes on me, a rope tied, keeping us together as I venture further into the unknown.

There are not many personal things in his room. There is a picture of two women, one young and one older—I am assuming his mother and sister—and his backpack is set against a dark-wood dresser. His track bag is there also, and there is a shirt pooled on his bed, also a pair of black, lace-up shoes at the foot of his bed. It is like a scavenger hunt; find all the sentimental items, the t-ball trophy, the family picture at the lake, the lucky hat, maybe a love note.

I turn to him. "I was expecting—"

"A mess?" He asks, and I roll my eyes.

"No. I don't know. Maybe." There is a large window on the right wall from the door that shows part of the backyard. "Your Dad seems nice. He's probably wondering why I'm here at midnight, but he seems nice."