Chapter 13: The Sports Festival

~August~

"August! Catch!"

I just slump down on a bench when I see a bottle of cold water zooming in midair towards me. I catch it in a quick motion of my hand, uncap it, and  hurriedly empty it in one gulp.

"Nice catch." Tristan grins.

"Thanks, anyway." I smirk as I throw the now empty bottle away, making it zoom in the air once more before it lands with a thud precisely in the nearby waste basket.

"I can't believe that you can get more amazing! It's our team's first time to have so many victories ever since we entered this school," Tristan continues as he sits next to me.

"It can't be a lot yet. We still won the swimming, chess, track and field, volleyball, tennis, football, field hockey, lacrosse, and baseball sports. There's still one more to go," I remind him, wiping my sweaty face with a towel.

"Still, those victories are all thanks to you." Tristan smiles.

"Most of those sports are done by teams," I contradict.

"But you have the most participation in them and the most contribution of scores, mind you," Tristan pushes on, "And we are already sure champions for you made us win all of the sports so far. This last one won't make any difference."

"It still makes a difference to me. I want complete victory. I can't say that I'm a champion once I lose one sport despite winning the rest," I tell him.

Surely our team's the champion as long as I'm in it. Today is, by the way, the last day of the sports festival week.

Grindes Institute's sports festival goes this way: The whole school student population must be divided into two, that obviously means two teams. The theme for this year's sports festival team names are wild cats, so our team is entitled 'Tigers' and the other team are the 'Lions. The two teams will be rivals for the title of the champion which is for the team with most sports won. The sports festival lasts for five days, on a Monday up to Friday. There are ten sports and those sports must be divided into two for each day, which means only one sport in the morning and one sport in the afternoon. The first day sports are mostly started late because of an opening program that precedes the start of the sports fest. The sports on Monday are swimming and chess; on Tuesday are track and field and volleyball; on Wednesday are tennis and football; on Thursday are field hockey and lacrosse; and lastly, on Friday are baseball and basketball. By the way, the sports on the last day must be started early, obviously otherwise the first day sports. It is because the battle of the bands and the awarding ceremony are to be held in the evening so students, most especially participants, can have more time for last practices and other stuff.

The battle of the bands also serves as a tie breaker whenever the total games won by the two teams are equal; the winning band's team will be the overall champion. Of course, that tie breaker will not be needed in this year's sports festival, for just like what Tristan said, we are already the sure champions.