Playground

But in the end, we never really mean for things to connect... do we?

GrayLu Week 2017: Playground

* * *

"C'mon, Gray. Just put on the suit."

"This is stupid, Luce."

"We have to blend in."

"I don't wanna blend in!"

"You need to for the job."

"There's too many layers!"

Lucy couldn't help but laugh as she watched Gray throw his hands in the air in frustration. He was staring darkly at the different parts of his suit laid on the bed in front of him, as if he could freeze them with just his gaze. She chuckled again, moving to stand behind him and wrap her arms around his bandaged torso.

"Gray..." she chimed, her voice melodic. "It's just for a few hours. And besides, I'm excited to see you all dressed up..." Lucy paused. "Pleaaase?"

Gray huffed. "Damn you," he mumbled. "You know I can't say no to you."

Lucy grinned, loosening her grip as he leaned forward and began getting dressed. She slipped in the bathroom to do the same.

A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door, and Lucy walked over and let Natsu, Happy, and Erza in. Gray adjusted his tie in the mirror as Natsu started yelling.

"We look so fancy!" Natsu yelled, admiring himself in the mirror. Happy gave an 'aye sir!' in response, before Natsu looked back at Erza.

"Hey, Erza," he said. "Where's your fancy dress?"

Erza absentmindedly looked down at her body. "Oh, hold on," he spoke. There was a flash of light, and Erza's equip magic created a beautiful floor length gown.

Lucy never ceased to be amazed by Erza.

"Everyone know the plan?" Erza spoke, pinning her long red hair back away from her face.

"Aye sir!" Natsu and Happy spoke in unision. Erza's eyes lifted to Gray and Lucy, and they both nodded.

"Alright," Erza smiled. "Lets party."

* * *

"Are you sure you're up for this?"

Gray looked down at Lucy, letting her take his arm as they walked into the casino ballroom. All around them were men in suits and woman in long dresses, as well as men in white tuxedos carrying trays with drinks of all kinds. Gray shrugged.

"Now is a little late to ask," he teased the blonde on his arm. She swatted at his chest, and he chuckled lightly. "I'm alright," he assured her. "It's been two weeks, Luce. My body is almost fully recovered. A couple bruises have never stopped me from doing missions before."

A waiter came by, and Gray gracefully grabbed two glasses of champagne, offering one to Lucy. "Besides," he spoke, taking a small sip. "This is an easy job."

Lucy frowned, letting him lead her around the big ballroom. "Don't say things like that," she told him. "You'll jinx us."

Gray laughed quietly. "C'mon," he said. "Lets mingle and at least try to have a little fun tonight. Casinos are, after all, an adult's playground."

Lucy shook her head. "We could probably have more fun if we weren't working."

Gray shrugged. "We get to play dress-up and drink expensive alcohol and dance later. We can still have fun."

Lucy sighed dreamily. She imagined dancing the night away with Gray, and the romantic in her swooned. "Fine," she caved. "But you better hold up your promise about dancing!"