chapter twenty.

5,001 read the minute this uploads, wow guys, thank you so much!! It's more than I ever thought I would get. I actually love you so much.

Late | Luke

The week couldn't have gone any slower, I was impatiently waiting for Luna to come over on Friday night. I was excited to just spend time with her, but truly I was worried and wanted to know what was going on. Not once throughout the remainder of the week had it been bought up and whilst I wanted to respect her privacy, I really wanted to know. I could tell whatever was happening at her house was tearing her inside out, just yesterday she was barely functioning, and as we all sat in a circle on the green at lunch time laughing all she could do was stare into space, her lower lip occasionally quivering.

School hadn't started yet, but I was already hanging around the gym waiting for the changing rooms to be unlocked. Friday meant P.E first, and that meant I got to spend an hour with Calum and Luna. Michelle had come back to school after getting over her cold yesterday and we had finally made an effort to start learning to tango. Although, our skills were pretty terrible and we would need a lot more practise if we wanted to even pass the standard. I pulled my phone from my pocket and checked the time, it was eight forty, meaning I had another twenty minutes to blow before class started. I looked over my shoulder at the gymnasium and shrugged, there was no point standing out here.

I wandered back across the green towards the administration block, my calculus teacher smiling at me as he entered the office. I headed around the back of the school, where the bike racks were located. It was completely empty and it usually remained empty, bikes not being the prefered transport to school, especially not now that it was winter. But there was one girl who always rode her baby blue bike with a basket to school nearly every morning, and I couldn't wait to see her.

Perching on the cold metal bars I grabbed my phone out to waste time, usually I would expect to see her shining smile by now as she was always an early riser and one of the first students to school but the past week she'd essentially been a walking corpse, only just making it to class on time. I offered picking her up on the way to school, despite it being out of the way, but she insisted she didn't want to make things worse with her parents by being picked up by a boy ... in a car. So instead I decided we could walk to P.E late together, atleast she'd get less heat from Miss Fern for being tardy.

At eight fifty-eight she pulled up, braking right in front of me causing pebbles to fly up at my exposed ankles. She pulled off her helmet and snapped it onto her bag straps before pushing her bike up between my legs in the little space for the wheel to sit.

"Boo you," I smiled and she returned it in silence. I watched as she pulled the safety lock from her front pocket and looped it through the wheel and around the metal pole, making sure to avoid my legs. It clicked and I hopped down, causing her to jump back at my sudden movement.

"You okay?" I hummed as I touched her shoulder and she nodded, the bell blocking out any sound she may have made. Her smile faltered as we walked towards the science block where her locker was situated and I stood by her as she sorted out her books and clothes. I watched her intently, she looked so lost and all I wanted to do was pull her away from society and hold her until everything was okay again.

Her locker door shut and she turned towards me, "shall we go then?"

I reached for her hand and she hesitantly looped in fingers with mine, "we shall. And we're only five minutes late."

"They'll only assume we were in the janitors closet," she giggled and I grinned. That's my girl.

"Well then, we might as well take our time, after all it took Calum seven minutes, so we still have two minutes to match his record," I winked as I swung my arm forward and hers follow suit.