18 ∞ Where You Take My Breath Away

Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I pulled the strap of my bag that had slipped from my shoulder. Quietly, I entered the school gate. As I looked around, I witnessed the guard on duty having a thorough conversation with a group of boys about their haircuts.

It was still them. By now, you could easily tell who would likely be the object of such scolding. They were also seniors but from a different section. For the last three years that we'd been in this school, they almost never failed to make it on that list. At times, I'd like to think that they signed an attendance sheet for it.

Athan would sometimes be included in that group, but seeing how he'd shaved his head a few weeks ago, maybe he'd get to skip this one and attend their next meeting instead.

I went along and entered the school grounds. This was probably the first time that I wasn't anxious on the first day of school. Instead, I woke up early, put on my uniform, grabbed the bag that I had prepared last night, and finished breakfast. I'd managed to be conscious enough of the missing half in our staircase and had avoided it. And since Kath's classes would start thirty minutes earlier than mine, Mom also started dropping me off at school in the morning before going to Kath's elementary school.

When I entered the building, I went to my designated locker to place my things. After getting the books that we needed for our morning classes, I put the padlock on and buckled the key on my ID holder.

The locker beside mine didn't have any lock yet, and I was guessing that it was still Athan who was the owner of it. His locker was right beside mine for the last three years. It would be unusual if the admin would suddenly change that system.

A little bit of sadness seemed to settle in my thoughts after realizing that this would be our last year in high school. We finally had the infamous privilege of not being obligated to use the stairs that often. Our classroom was on the first floor, two hallways down from the cafeteria.

As usual, the hallway that contained the lockers was filled with students. As I was trying to find my way to the end of the hall, I suddenly recalled what happened last year. It unknowingly placed a smile on my lips. Who would have imagined that incident would change a lot of things?

I'd seen Stephen once after they had gotten back from their grandmother's place. It was last Saturday, when we had all hung out at Athan's place. There, he gave me the seashell that Ariel had talked about before. Stephen told me that it was a souvenir. When I got home, I'd placed the seashell on my desk, so that I would always see it.

When I went inside our classroom, I found Ariel talking with the boys that usually teased the female students in the field. Since her voice was so loud, I could clearly hear their conversation. She was actually making fun of the boys' so-called misery now that our classroom was on the other side of the building and mostly facing the school gates.

There was no helping it. Over the years, it had become their habit teasing those girls. In return, Ariel would scold them for it. They were all affected by this.