Chapter 7 - Deal with it

"What are you saying?"

April puts a knife to my back.

"April, calm please." Camden says without raising his voice but the reprimand is clear. Three scratches mar his right cheekbone but they've been treated to stop the bleeding and I avert my eyes. "But I want to know the answer to that question too." His gaze turns to bore into me.

"She was telling me my name." Maia speaks softly and I see tears in her eyes. "That's my language. That's what we spoke at home."

"Do you know your father's name?" I ask as gently as I can.

She shakes her head and my heart rate skyrockets.

Breathe, Eve, breathe.

"What about your mom's?"

"Sarah." This time her answer is confident.

"Oh, Lord." My knees tremble and my eyes leak just a little. Okay, maybe more than a little. Maia looks concerned.

"Are you okay?"

"Do you know what Atti means?" I force my voice to stay even.

"Isn't it your name?"

"No. It means aunt. Your father, Dan, was my brother and your mother, Sarah, was my friend. Your name is Sereya."

"And my last name?" She asks me eagerly.

When I don't answer, April speaks instead.

"Probably Rutledge like Eve here."

"It's not. Technically it's not my original last name either." I wince as Rose's gaze flies to me. "It's Vashjior."

"Does it mean anything?" Maia was excited once more.

"Yes. It means 'of the Protectors'." I flinch as I say it. "It isn't a good name for our family any more. I chose Rutledge, your father took your mother's last name, Williams, but they gave you our original title on the understanding you could chose when you were old enough."

"Chose what?"

"To live the name or to live a life." I run a hand over my head as I try to determine how much a child her age can understand. "If I'm around when you're older I can tell you more."

"If you're still around?" Camden's eyebrows rise to his hair line. "I don't think there's an 'if' about that any more."

"Maia, why don't you and April go to your room so Camden and I can have a talk?"

Maia turns to her guardian with big eyes. And just like that, I realize that he is her everything. She loves him like a father. I've done a lot of things in my time, but ripping my niece away from the one good thing she has right now won't be one of them. A sharp stab of my heart tells me my other half doesn't like it either.

"You should go, Maia." He carefully brushes her head and I realize he feels the same way.

Her eyes flicker to me. "Okay. I'll see you soon?"

"I'll come tuck you in just like always." He gives her a soft smile and my heart breaks a little more.

When Sereya and April are gone, I move forward to speak with Camden and Rose.

"You are dismissed." Rose sends the five other wolves away with a glance. "Now, talk Eve not-Rutledge." She's growling at me. I made an Alpha mad which is Not Good. This day just keeps getting better.

I force out  a big sigh and walk over to slump against the eating bar. "My niece has imprinted on you, hasn't she Camden?"

"What does that mean?"