Chapter 41

At school on Monday, Valentine's Day decorations have started to spring up in the halls and on people's lockers - courtesy of the social committee. There are flashes of pink hearts, balloons, and posters pasted onto the walls advertising a 'cupid' themed dance this Friday.

"The theme was my idea," says Charlie with a grin as we pass a cartoon picture of a bow and arrow wielding cherub.

I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Seriously?!"

She laughs.

"What?! I have a bow and quiver that I'm never able to wear out in public! Plus - it means there's no reason you can't come. If anything kicks off like at the last dance, we can be armed and no-one will even know."

I roll my eyes as we head down the corridor to class.

"Should there really be a dance? What with it being in honor of the guy that's trying to kill me and all... it could add to his power..."

Charlie looks at me more seriously.

"Yeah, I thought that - but the social committee are hardly going to stop one of their big annual dances. It's not like I can tell them there's a zombie raising evil maniac cupid strutting about town. I did manage to get it moved to the week before Valentine's Day though - so it's not like it's on the actual day itself."

I know her words should re-assure me somewhat - but they just highlight how close Valentine's Day is getting. Whatever Valentine is building up to - with his zombie cupids, Morta's sheers, threats to me, and Cal's life thread - it will happen one week from Saturday.

We have 11 days to find out exactly what is going on. And how to stop it.

Charlie and I move into the classroom - taking our usual seats at the back.

I take a breath.

We will stop this. Hopefully our trip to track down Charon tonight should give us some answers.

I glance at Charlie.

"I suppose the themed dance also has the added bonus that everyone will probably dress like giant babies, and that will definitely annoy Cupid and Cal..." I say - the corner of my lip tugging upward.

Charlie beams at me.

"See! There's the spirit!"

***

Charlie drives me to the Cupids Matchmaking Service after school. We pause outside the clear front of the place. Cupid and Crystal are talking animatedly inside - frowns on their faces.

Charlie and I share a look, then she opens the door a fraction - stopping it just before it rings the bell to signal our arrival.

"...I'm just saying it's a possibility we shouldn't rule out," says Crystal. "I mean - when was the last time you...?"