Part 3: Rising Phoenix

The evening was peaceful, with not a cloud in the sky. The stars were starting to come out, and the moon beginning to rise. It was the perfect kind of night to camp out under the stars. Or at least, that was what Althaea thought, or would have thought, if she wasn't camping with people who were essentially strangers.
The elven woman stood by the two horses, rubbing their noses. There were only two, one to pull a cart, the other was ridden by the captain. She glanced over towards the fire where several other figures stood around. Only one of them she knew the name of; a small rogue man name Orel. They had met some time ago. The others she knew less of, and some of them trusted far less.
The cart and its horse belonged specifically to a burly man who always seemed to have a bottle of alcohol in his hand, and a dog at his heels. He seemed alright, since they shared an interest in the intoxicating drink, and he was good with animals. Animals were always a better judge of character than people.
Then there was the dragonborn, a strange creature half way between a dragon and a human. Scaley hide and horns, he sat quietly by the fire, contemplation in his eyes.
There was also the strange aquatic creature. The Trident. He was small, barely up to her chest in height, but always made his presence known, especially when he spoke in his loud, and surprisingly booming voice. He also wielded a trident, which he was currently leaning against, staring down at a nearby pond.
Finally was the one she trusted the least. He shared her pointed ears and long flowing hair. But the similarities stopped there. Instead of pale skin, his was dark. In fact, his skin was barely visible in the dying light. His white hair gave his position away, hidden partially by a deep hood. Althaea had almost walked away as soon as she laid eyes on her new would-be companion. If it wasn't for Orel insisting that it would be alright, she would have been long gone by now.
Of course, it hadn't help that the recruiter, who was also the captain of the group, was nothing short of a demon spawn. A teifling. Who wore giant armor, and brandished a broad sword. He had come across Orel and Althaea as they fought off wolves. Impressed, he recruited them into his mercenary band, the Rising Phoenix. It didn't help that Althaea didn't have anywhere else to go, and that Orel jumped at the idea to join.
But now here she was, part of a group of strange people, banded together for some kind of common cause.
"In all my years, I have never been part of such strange company," she sighed, turning back to the horses. She had stopped stroking their noses, and one of them had nuzzled her to keep going. They were both unsaddled and tethered to a post with enough slack to graze, but they had been enjoying the elf's attention.
"Alright, gather up!" Came a loud voice. The captain stepped into the firelight, eyeing everyone. "Line up!"
Althaea sighed and left the horses. She lined up beside Orel, the trident creature come to stand behind her. The captain looked them over, walking up and down the line for a minute.
"Alright recruits, you lot have been teamed together as recruits so we can test your mettle. Rising Phoenix is an elite mercenary group who will only keep the best. Show yourself worthy and you will very quickly become a regular member. Fail, and that may mean death in battle," he said loudly, then stopped at the middle of the line and turned to face and address all of them.
"Being a team, it's best that you learn to trust and work together. Let's start by introducing yourselves. Down the line, say your names, starting at this end," he pointed to his left where the line started with the dragonborn.
"What, with me?" Came the dragonborn's rough voice.
"Yes, you!" The captain was audibly irritated.
"Right, well, my name is Gonard. I'm a dragonborn, obviously. I'm also a druid, though I don't have much experience yet. I'm here partly to learn, I guess," he said with a slight shrug and watched for the captain's reaction. The tiefling's face was blank. He only motioned for the next person to start. The drow.
"My name is Veras Horlbar. My specialties are in stealth, and that's all I'd like to say about that. I know most here won't trust me because of... what I am. But know, that I am not like my kin. I don't share their ideals. That's why I left, to find my way in the world beyond that of my closed mind kin. I hope I can eventually earn your trust, and you will consider me differently than most drow, and not judge me by my race," the drow's deep voice was genuine. He bowed his head slightly, notifying that he was done. The drunkard took up his que.
"Well, I'm Tzedkiel, but you can just call me Tzed. I am a cleric of the god Telsius, god of justice, and sometimes god of death," the bearded man said, patting his dog on the head.
"I thought Telsius was a strict god," the captain said off-handedly, motioning to the bottle in Tzed's hand.
"Ah, yes, well, as a strong cleric, I am allowed some leeway. He is not that strict of a god. I mean, he still allows his followers to enjoy the good things in life," Tzed replied with a smile and wink. The captain shook his head and motioned for the next person to speak.
"My name is Orel, but a lot of people call me Cat. I'm a bit of a rogue, my style being quick and sneaky in battle. I was born in a nearby city, grew up on the streets. Not exactly an honest living, but I decided to leave all that and try and find a better -and perhaps a bit more honest- life."
No response from the captain, he nodded towards Althaea. Her voice was soft as she spoke, almost a whisper. Some of them leaned to hear her better.
"I am Althaea Galanodel -that means moon whisperer. I prefer not to say where I'm from, or why I am here. Just know that my skills are in the woods. I hunt, track, and fight mainly with a bow. Though I do have dual short swords at need," she said. "That is all I have to say."
"Alright, last but not least," the captain nodded to the small trident, who cleared his throat and boomed out.
"I be Corus Vlux. I hail from a plethora amount away. Thine ability lieth in whimsical arts of exuberant power. It be thine pleasure to fight aggressively in countenance with all thee about. I obscurely seek forward to battle with thee. Thou canst believeth in thy battle prowess," he said confidently. Althaea flinched back a little, while the others started at him, confused.
"Er, where did you learn common?" The cleric asked, his voice slurred.
"Ah, yes, thou hast knowledge the linguistics of thine company through olden book, yonder years ago. I hath also learnt the speaking of Primordial. Dost thou speakers Primordial?"
Everyone shook their head no.
"Alas! It be a exuberant linguistic. If thou carest to listen-"
"I think we've heard enough, good trident," the captain said. If a headache had an expression, the tiefling was wearing it in that moment. "With that being the rest of you, let me properly introduce myself. I am Captain Kazuki, your assigned leader. I am not here to hold your hand, or tell you what to do or not do. I am here to simply point you in the right direction to carry out orders. You are free men -and women- and are not upheld to too great a standard.
"But Rising Phoenix is still a group that works for the good of the people, and I trust you will keep that in mind with your future doings with those you come across and work for."
He paused and stared at each person in the eyes, looking for weak wills, but they all stared back determinedly.
"Alright, I already have your first assignment. It should be easy enough for you lot. It's to test your mettle.
"A nearby town has been suffering from goblin attacks lately. It is a small town, so they can't afford better. Details are with the mayor. The town lies a day's march just west of here. I will accompany you as far as the town, and then I will take my leave. Are there any questions?"
No one said anything.
"Good. You are dismissed. Camp and rest as you may, we leave at the break of dawn. Be ready to go."