Chapter 1

Nothing at all

Spring, 1826

Grandstone Park

Seat of the Duke of Grandstone

Allayne Carlyle set his sight on the mark. Carefully, he released the safety lock and steadied his grip on the pistol. His green gaze narrowed on the tiny red dot. He pulled the trigger.

A flock of birds flew from the trees at the deafening sound. The target quivered from the impact of his bullet. He lowered the gun and raised his head. A smile tugged the corners of his mouth.

Perfect.

A footman unhooked the wooden disk and hurriedly brought it to Jeremiah Devlin Huntington, Marquess of Waterford, and Richard Christopher Radcliffe, Duke of Grandstone, for a closer inspection.

"Damn it," Richard hoisted the disk at an angle so that sunlight filtered through the burnt hole. "How does he do it?"

"Well, old chap, you trounced us soundly once again," Jeremy shook his dark head as he examined the missing small center circle on the board with Richard.

"It's useless to compete with you," Richard handed the board back to the footman. "You have eyes as sharp as an eagle."

"And an aim as accurate as a damn sharpshooter," Jeremy motioned for his valet to gather his pistols and pack them in the gun cases.

"Where are you going?" Allayne handed his pistol to his own valet for a reload.

"Home," Jeremy shook off the gunpowder from his hands and pulled on his gloves.

"I'd best go too," Richard said, and gave instructions to his valet to wipe his pistols and put them in the leather cases. "You're welcome to practice here as long you like. I will have Gordon bring more refreshments."

Allayne swore under his breath. "Gentlemen, it is three o'clock in the afternoon. It is a fine day for outdoor activities! If you like, we can go riding instead."

"Thank you, but no," Jeremy replied as his valet helped him put on his coat. "I must join Cassie for tea and I promised Edward I'd take him fishing at the pond."

"Tea?" Allayne scoffed at his brother-in-law. "Since when did you start taking tea?"

"Never. Cassie has tea, but she makes my coffee for me," Jeremy lifted his chin to let his valet fix his cravat.

"You'll ride all the way back to Waterford Park just to have your damned coffee," Allayne raised a tawny brow in disbelief.

"Well, no," Jeremy flashed him a crooked grin. "I'm going home because I miss your sister—and I'll be damned if I don't see her soon enough."

"Good God, man!" Allayne threw his hands in the air and shook his head. "We've only been out for two hours!"

"I'm afraid that is long enough," Richard interrupted. "I must go see Desiree. The twins should be up from their nap and I promised to let them go fishing with Edward."

"Damnation!" Allayne waved at his valet to pack up his pistols. "Both of you have turned into domestic bores."

"Ah, but you don't understand domestic bliss, my friend," Richard patted his back, humor twinkling in his blue eyes, "at least, not yet."

"Gah!" Allayne raked his fingers through his long, wavy, honey-blond hair. "Please—I have no desire to get leg-shackled any time soon."

"But shouldn't you be thinking about it?" Richard plunged his arms into the sleeves of the velvet coat his valet offered. "You're three and thirty—you're not getting any younger."