Prologue

"Beeeep, beeep, beeep,"

I moaned, opening my eyes. The sunlight bathed my skin as I lay looking out. I tried going back to sleep; what happened yesterday was something I wanted to forget. Thoughts bit at my brain, forbidding me to return to my slumber. I looked around me. I felt guilty for running away from home, but it had to be done. The thought of my mom crying because I left and my stupid stepdad was to comfort her made me sad.

"How will Annie take this?!" I thought, trying to fight the tears from finding their way out. Just imagine poor Annie's nervous eyes staring at the wall as they filled up with tears. I suddenly didn't care about my mom sobbing—and much less about anything my stepdad was going through. I was worried for Annie; she was only three, too young to know, too innocent. She shouldn't have to go through this; no child should!

I sat up, my stomach cursing me for not feeding it last night. I reached into my backpack and counted the money I had brought. Two hundred dollars—that would be enough for a couple of days. I dug in once more and found my pocket-sized mirror. Short hair made me appear drastically different; I was compelled to cut it to prevent others from recognizing my appearance.

The morning sun was still low in the sky, casting long shadows that danced on the ground. I sat alone on the park bench, my mind a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. I reached up, my fingers gingerly touching my cheek. It was slightly swollen, a painful reminder of the events that had led me to this moment. I winced as a sharp pain shot through me, but I quickly pushed it aside. Pain was a part of life now, a constant companion.

I looked around, my eyes scanning the park. It was quiet; the world was still waking up. I felt a strange sense of calm wash over me. This was my life now—a life on the run, a life in hiding. I was a fugitive, a runaway, but I was also free. Free from the chains of my past, free to make my own choices.

I reached into my backpack, pulling out my few belongings. They were not much—just a few clothes, some money, and a pair of shades. I looked at them, my heart heavy. They were all I had left of my old life, all I had to remind me of who I was.

I put the shades on, my eyes hidden behind the dark lenses. They were more than just a fashion statement; they were my shield and disguise. They hid my identity and kept me anonymous. In a world where everyone was connected and known, anonymity was a rare commodity. It was my only protection, my only defense against those who would seek to find me.

As I sat there, my shades on and my belongings gathered, I felt a strange sense of peace. I was alone, but I was not lonely. I was on the run, but I was not afraid. I was lost, but I was also found. I was a runaway, but I was also free. And in that moment, I knew that no matter what happened or where I went, I would always be me. And that was enough. That was more than enough. It was everything.

With a deep breath, I stood up, my legs shaky from the lack of nourishment. I looked around, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. I was in a small park, and the morning dew was still fresh on the grass. The chirping of the birds and the rustling of the leaves were the only sounds that broke the silence of the early morning. My mind is racing with thoughts. I knew I had to find a place to stay, a job, or anything else to help me survive. I also knew I had to be careful to stay under the radar. I didn't want to be found—not yet, not until I was ready.

I pulled out my phone; the battery was almost dead. I had turned it off to save power, knowing I would need it later. I turned it on and looked at the screen, which showed a picture of Annie smiling back at me. My heart ached at the sight of her, but I knew I had made the right decision. I was doing this for her and us.

I spent the rest of the day looking for a job, walking from store to store and restaurant to restaurant. By the end of the day, I was exhausted, but I had managed to secure a job at a small diner. It wasn't much, but it was a start.

As the sun set, I sat on the same bench back at the park. I looked up at the sky, the stars beginning to twinkle. I thought about Annie, my mom, and the life I had left behind. It was hard, but I knew I had to keep fighting for them and me.

So, under the starlit sky, I made a promise to myself. I would survive and thrive, and one day, I would go back—not as the scared girl who ran away but as the strong woman who faced her fears and won. And until that day, I would keep Annie's smile in my heart, a beacon of hope guiding me through the darkest nights. 

As the days turned into weeks, I settled into a routine. During the day, I worked at the diner, serving customers and washing dishes. The work was hard, but it kept my mind occupied and prevented me from dwelling on the past.

I would return to the park, my temporary home, in the evenings. I would sit on the bench, staring at the stars, thinking about Annie. I missed her terribly, but I knew I was doing the right thing. I was building a better future for us.

One day, while working at the diner, I met a kind woman named Martha. She was a regular customer, always ordering the same thing: a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie. We started talking, and soon we became friends. When she learned about my situation, she offered me a room in her house. Initially, I hesitated, but I knew it was a good opportunity. I accepted her offer, grateful for her kindness.

Living with Martha was a blessing. She was kind and understanding, never prying into my past. She gave me the space I needed to heal and grow. With her help, I could enroll in a local community college, taking night classes after work. I was determined to make something of myself to prove that I was more than just a runaway.

As I navigated through this new life, I kept my promise. I survived; I thrived. I was no longer the scared girl who ran away but a strong woman, ready to face whatever came my way. And though I was far from home, far from Annie, I knew I was on the right path. I was building a better future, not just for me but for her as well.

And so, under the starlit sky, I made another promise. One day, I would return home, reunite with Annie, and share my lessons with her. Until then, I would keep her smile in my heart, a beacon of hope guiding me through the darkest nights.

To be continued...