Chapter Twenty-Two: By The Docks

A/N: Special thanks to my best friend Ly for her knowledge of all things Alabamian (is that even a word...?)! Also, for always being my beta fish and helping me out with editing every chapter ♥

Fan art to the side is made by my fan and friend, Zura! :) Check out the song too, if you want. It's beautiful!

Chapter Twenty-Two: By The Docks

Liam had the evening all figured out, while I was kept in the dark.

He had walked into Le Bistro’s Italian Cuisine five minutes ago with an order to stay put. If we were going to have dinner, wouldn’t it consist of me going into the restaurant with him? Why was I still out here in the freezing cold if that was the case?

I tapped my foot on the concrete, patience waning thin as the seconds ticked by. The glowing red sign seemed to mock me as its lights flickered out for a split-second before charging back to life. People filtered in and out, jazz music escaping through the open door.

I groaned, my stomach growling in assent. I wanted to march right in there and look for him, but that would just ruin his plans; whatever those were. He was being secretive and it frustrated me. But on the opposite side of the spectrum I was also intrigued.

Stop whining. It’s a surprise! Of course he’s not gonna tell you what it is.

I sighed. Texting Gemma was the only thing keeping me from going insane while I waited for Liam. I wondered if he was somehow trying to contrive a plan to steal some food from the kitchen. He’d come out of the restaurant in a frenzy, telling me to get on the bike while the manager or one of the cooks yelled at him to come back and pay for the food or they’d call the cops. Or maybe he was working his charm to get us good seats, but the host was not so easy to persuade.

What do YOU think he’s up to?

I tapped my thumb on the screen as I waited for a reply, absently pacing back and forth. She responded a minute later.

Idk something romantic? You should be bursting with joy! You’re finally on a date with him! :)

It’s not a date. It’s just food.

Ha. Mkay. Keep telling yourself that, An. Still on for dressing shopping tomorrow, right?

“Sorry to keep you waiting. That took longer than I expected.”

I whirled around to see Liam carrying a picnic basket. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen. Wait, no. That was a lie. The strangest thing I had seen involved a donkey and a trapeze artist, but that was an entirely different story. The basket looked foreign on his person against the stark leather of his jacket, like it didn’t belong. 

I slid my phone into my pocket, making a mental note to text Gemma back later. 

“We’re going on a picnic?”

“Not going to tell you.”

I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest. “I’m not moving from this spot until you tell me what you’re up to. It’s all very suspicious here, pal.”

His eyebrows shot up in amusement. “Fine. You can stay, while I go and eat all the food in here.” He tapped the basket for good measure and shrugged, crossing the street.

In the end curiosity got the better of me, and I followed him towards the dock. Plus, the rumbling and grumbling of my stomach pleaded with me to concede and follow. I couldn’t let my stomach down. I had to take one for the team.