Chapter 3

Zendaya is so pretty. That's all I have to say.

_________________________________________________________________

Chapter 3

HARPER

Our first morning in New York, I had woken up to the sound of everyone's loud chatter ringing around the apartment, prompting me to grumble as I tried to block it out by pressing my pillow over my head. When that didn't work, I huffed in annoyance, blinking and squinting against the sunlight that streamed through the small separation between the curtains as I realized Lennox wasn't in bed with me. Glancing at the digital clock on my bedside, I saw that it was eleven-thirty, and reluctantly kicked away the comforter before my feet came in contact with the cold hardwood floor.

Putting on my glasses so the world wasn't blurry anymore, I used the hair tie around my wrist to wrap up my wavy hair in a messy bun atop my head before walking out of the room, still dressed in my night shorts and an old Florida Gators shirt. Walking down the hall, the sounds of everyone's voices become louder until I reached the dining room, where everyone was seated around the table that was full of breakfast foods.

Maya, who was the first to notice me as she held Jayden in her arms, smiled as she greeted, "Morning, sleepyhead. You hungry?"

I nodded lazily, approaching the table before sitting in the empty seat next to Jordan and across from Layla. As I poured myself some Coco Puffs in a bowl, Mom clicked her tongue irritably from the other side of the table. "How many times do I have to tell you to come to breakfast after you get dressed?" she chastised, a light scowl furrowing her perfectly plucked brows and blue eyes icy.

Glancing around briefly, I realized everyone was more or less dressed for the day, save for me and Lennox, but I doubt Mom had reprimanded my best friend. "Sorry, Mom," I apologized quickly before shoving a spoonful of cereal into my mouth, earning a quiet snort from Jordan.

As breakfast went on, Dad informed us of what his plans for the day were, which were going to be spent with Mom, Uncle Hank and Aunt Nora, and my grandparents. The rest of us, in Dad's words, were on our own to do as we pleased, which excited Lennox and I. Although I wasn't sure what our own plans for the day were, I'm sure we'd think of something to do eventually.

After eating breakfast and help clearing the table, Lennox and I returned to our room to start getting ready. I took the first shower, changing into a pair of fitted black leggings and a white tee, before exiting to put in my contacts and blow dry my hair as Lennox went in to shower. Once I was done with my hair, I continued to do my makeup as Lennox was still showering. Then, the sound of a phone chiming with a text message caught my attention, and I glanced on the dresser where both mine and Lennox's phones were.

When I saw that it wasn't my phone, I moved to continue doing my light eye makeup, only for my eyes to land on Lennox's phone's screen and the message that lit it up. Despite myself, I read the message that was right there, only for my eyes to widen in surprise and confusion at not only the message, but at the sender.

We can't hide this from them forever, babe. They'll find out eventually, and it'd be better if they heard it from us instead of finding out some other way.

Not only was that message seriously suspicious, but the contact that had sent it was named CJ with a red heart next to it, and I felt my jaw slacken and mouth dry up as I immediately realized who that was. Neither Lennox nor I knew that many CJ's, and so only one Asian-American boy who disliked me just as much as his best friend did came to my mind.