Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

10 | introspection

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

INTROSPECTION

( — contemplation of your own thoughts and desires and conduct. )

— ♡ —

          "ISLA, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?" Rhiannon asks, once Isla steps through the door of their dorm room on Saturday morning, after having disappeared from the campus the previous afternoon. Students have been advised to avoid going out after the sun sets after what happened to Taylor, but it's not like a big number of them actually obeys.

          Isla truly doesn't give a damn about those rules, waltzing in and out whenever she pleases, but she usually lets people know where she's going just in case something bad happens and she needs help (though she never admits the last part, always wanting to prove to everyone she can protect herself just fine on her own).

          Last night wasn't one of those times.

          She was calmly sitting in the room, surrounded by her textbooks, notebooks and prized TI-Nspire calculator (which Rhiannon suspects Isla loves more than she loves her, but it's quite understandable), and then, all of a sudden, sprung up from her bed as if the mattress had burned her, dark eyes wide open and hair falling from its usual bun.

          She left without a word, bolting out of the room before Rhiannon had a chance to ask her what was going on, and even turned off her phone, leaving the rest of them deprived of a good night of sleep as they tryed to figure out anything about her whereabouts. Rhiannon almost convinced Jude and Matteo to join her on a search party, but, just when she was about to win the argument, they were ordered to return to their rooms because it simply isn't safe out there anymore.

          Apparently, Isla is above the safety rules just because she's the chancellor's daughter, which clearly isn't fair for anyone else, but Rhiannon thinks she understands. Technically, no one or anything is forcing them to stay in their rooms, locking them in their dorms, but it's something they should do.

          Anyway.

          Rhiannon didn't bat an eye throughout the entire night, sitting on her bed by herself as she stared at the door, wishing for it to swing open at any moment as Isla made her way back inside, but that never happened. She could simply have returned to Jude and Matteo's room, as they'd provide her with some distraction, but, with security guards roaming the hallways, she'd, most certainly, get in trouble with them again.

          The pile of coursework sitting on her desk simply wasn't attractive enough to make her want to do anything else. She kept trying to contact Isla, only to be greeted by her Voicemail as it asked her to leave a message if it was urgent, but she didn't feel like yelling at her best friend through an electronic device. Hell, she rarely ever raises her voice, being nothing more than a scared little mouse.

icon lock

Show your support for cate, and continue reading this story

by cate
@violadavis
When someone dies mysteriously during a Psych experiment, Rhiannon be...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 25 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @violadavis.