Chapter 4 | Players

It’s one of those days where, unless you keep yourself moving and your blood pumping, you stay warmer in one spot. The sun is finally shining which is the first time it has since I came to this state. No clouds but the dusty ones that are so stretched, they’re barely visible. I like days like this. The cool weather suits me since I’m always on the move.

“Maple Shore Park,” Danny tells me, opening his arms wide. “Where a lot of people go after school. Kids like the playground and we get the courts.”

He nods his head past a one floor structure not even worth calling a building. My guess is they’re the bathrooms. I move my gaze to watch the life all about. Laughter echoes behind us from the children on the playground. They range in age, the toddlers getting the smaller slides and the older kids have the swings. I hear a few of them letting off swear words but the parents don’t hear. They don’t have the heightened senses I do. I chuckle, remembering when I was that young. If my parents heard me say any of that, they would have knocked me senseless. It wouldn’t have been child abuse, it was called discipline.

Ahead of us, there are three separate types of courts; volleyball, tennis and, of course, basketball. The rectangular spot of sand for volleyball is empty and the net has been taken down. I doubt it gets much use, especially in colder weather. Two teens are sitting idly inside the gated court. They have little interest for the game, probably using it only to shield them from prying eyes as they light up their cigarettes.

On the opposite side of the small stream that divides Maple Shore Park, there’s a large field. Faded white lines mark the ground in a large rectangle. It’s one of those spots used for a whole mess of things. Right now it’s being used for color guard practice. They swirl their flags in synchronized movements and dance to a song my wolf hearing tries to tune out. The recording is of the school band and even at its best, I’m not one for brass instruments.

“Why’s it called Maple Shore,” I ask Danny, pulling my attention to where we’re going. He shrugs.

“The hell if I know. I just get to play basketball with my cousins here. They live a few miles over. They go to J. Buchanan High with the other dudes you’ll meet.”

I follow my new classmate to the basketball courts. Metal bleachers line the blacktop, sitting six levels high and rusting at the corners. Four girls lounge on them with vintage styled backpacks sitting beside their faux fur boots. They seem like the typical type of sport groupies, not totally girly but just enough to still be pretty, eyeing any of the more attractive guys playing. A girl in a white headband, which stands out against her jet black hair, sends me a half smile before coyly looking away. I set my sights forward, walking with a bit more confidence.

There are a few guys already playing. Most of them have their jackets off and are starting to sweat. I don’t know how long they’ve been there but with how tired they look, they should be pretty easy to beat. Danny and I toss our backpacks near their collective belongings and join up. I lean on the metal pole as the boys playing stop to welcome Danny. A round of handshakes into half hugs is given before he remembers to introduce me.

“Hey guys. This is my boy, Briggs,” he says pointing to me. I give a quick wave before stuffing my hands back in my pocket. They all look like pretty decent guys but their stares are protective. This is Danny’s group, his crew. They’re testing me in seeing if I’m game to hang with.

“Hey,” I start, removing myself from the sidelines and onto the court. Intimidation isn’t my thing but their respect is earned. I understand that completely. “Danny says you’re good. I hope I can keep up. I haven’t played in a bit.”

“Yeah, well we’ll find out. I’m Dominic,” the tallest one says. Dominic stands about a foot taller than me, in a navy blue sweat jacket and white basketball shorts. He holds out his thick hand and mine slaps it in a firm but friendly handshake. “That’s Jay, Terrance, and Matt. Over there is my sister Shianne and her friends.”