||11- Poison in the Water||

Katalina didn't know what to make of Loki's words.  She supposed it was a compliment.  The way Loki's eyes shifted and shoulders almost slumped before he turned away, she concluded that his mother had meant a great deal to him.  She also concluded from how he spoke of her in past tense, as he returned to his spot on the couch without a word, that she no longer walked with the living.

From then on out, and rest of the day, Loki's responses stayed curt.  Kat managed to get Loki to eat at least two meals, but he mostly stayed to himself.  He wasn't rude, exactly, just short. 

The following morning started the same, but he did eat breakfast.  Kat cleaned and re-wrapped his wound after.  Nothing seemed amiss.  It was starting out to be an uneventful day; Loki read to himself and Katalina just worked on the orders still flooding in.

It was well after one when the doorbell rung.

Katalina's heart seized in her chest and she saw Loki visibly tense.  They both sat frozen and silent until the bell rung again.  Other than the surprise, Katalina felt no alarm or warning.  She pushed herself to feet and crossed to the door.  She glanced back at Loki before she peeled through the peephole.

It was the girls.

A sigh loosed from her lips as she unlocked the door. Kat knew that they'd be back some point. It broke her heart to send them away but she also knew that it wasn't safe for them to know about Loki.

Kat cracked open the door, blocking the room with her body. Instantly Keira was there, staring up at her.

"Are you okay? Are you being held hostage? Is that guy your boyfriend?"

The questions came like rapid fire. Kat found herself chuckling as she sat her hand on Keira's shoulder. She shook her head, trying to stop.

"Keira, Keira, it's okay," she cut in. Cut off, Keira sucked in a large, over exaggerated breath and raised her eye brows.  Her caramel eyes were wide and awaiting a response.  Belalyn stood behind her, rubbing her arm, and trying not to cringe.

"Yes to the first question, no to the rest," Katalina said but the girl's eyes just narrowed.  She tried peering over Kat's shoulder but found herself too short.  She huffed in frustration and fell back on her heels, crossing her arms.

"When is he leaving?"

"Keira," Belalyn said behind her.  Her arms were still wrapped around her awkwardly, as she had tried talking Keira out of coming. 

Keira rolled her eyes but shut her mouth. 

"Keira, I really do have to apologize," Kat said.  She meant it truly.  "I know you both look forward to our lessons."

Kat pursed her lips, thinking.  She glanced between the two of them.

"You know what," she said, "next Tuesday, we'll go down to the park and have our lesson there."

Keira's face lit up.

"Thank you so much, Ms. Dar–"

There was a crashing sound behind them.  Kat's head whipped towards the sound.  Loki was bent over the end table, arms braced against the wood.  Everything that has been on the table laid on the floor.

A scold rose to her lips but it stopped dead at the state of Loki.  His skin had taken on a ghoulish tone unlike his normal paleness and his gaze was distant.  He stared at her from across the living room, but Katalina could tell he didn't really see her.

"Loki?" she called softly, "Are you all right?"

He didn't respond.  A shuddered racked his body and she heard his breath hitch in pain.