Maybe He Is The One?

Alec spent the rest of his day with his head down, walking through the markets, trying to buy food without being noticed by Jonathon and his friends, or Maureen, or by any other person wanting to ruin Alec's day even more. He bought other things for Luke, knowing that there would always be something that he would forget. Just the odd things, Luke always liked making clockwork things so Alec made sure to buy little cogs and screws. And since Luke had promised to get Alec a rose, he decided to buy Luke a whole new set of tools. He knew that his old ones were getting disgusting and rusty so he thought that new ones would make Luke feel better since Jocelyn still hadn't returned yet.

He actually managed to get into his house with no disturbances and started unpacking his purchases, storing the food away, trying his best to wrap up Luke's present nicely. Just as he had finished and he grabbed his book, someone from outside shouted Alec's name.

He groaned and opened the window.

"Alec Lightwood is not available right now!" He yelled.

"It's Alaric! He's come back by himself!" Someone shouted back.

Alec stiffened. By himself? Where was Luke, what had happened? Alec gathered his thoughts and ran outside towards the voice.

Ragnor was standing next to Alaric, trying to get it to stop bucking and whinnying. Alec stroked Alaric's back and shushed him softly until he stopped. Ragnor looked at Alec in awe. He'd been trying to calm Alaric for ten minutes before Alec got out.

"Where is he? Where's Luke?" Alec asked frantically.

"I'm sorry, I don't know." Ragnor said helplessly. "He just stormed in by himself."

Alec's throat tightened and he tried to steady his breathing.

"I'll be right back." He said holding a finger up to Ragnor.

He stormed inside and grabbed his warmest coat. He began to pack a bag but he thought it was just extra weight that he wouldn't need. He looked around a final time before locking the door behind him and going back to Ragnor and Alaric. As he started to climb on top Ragnor yelled,

"What on earth do you think you're doing?!"

"I'm saving Luke." Alec said firmly. "Don't worry Ragnor, I'll be back soon."

Alec whipped the reigns and stared off, but not before being stopped by Maureen, riding Elliot.

"And where do you think you're going sweetie?" She asked in a sickly sweet tone.

"To save Luke, now get out of my way."

He set Alaric off on a canter and rode away ignoring Maureen and the rest of the towns protests.

He spurred on through the woods, letting Alaric take the lead as he went down paths that he obviously recognised from his journeys with Luke. Alec didn't even notice when snow started to fall. He was too concentrated on getting to wherever Luke was, trusting Alaric completely.

They eventually arrived at a castle and there Alec felt tears on his cheeks that he didn't even notice had been shed. He furiously wiped at his cheeks and jumped off Alaric. He looked around at his surrounds and for a second wondered if Alaric had just gone crazy and led him to a place he'd never been to before.

Then he saw a light from one of the windows of the castle. It wasn't uninhabited. Someone lived there, and it was unlikely that Alaric had taken him there on a random urge.

"Go back to town Alaric." He whispered, hitting the horse on his side. Alaric left at lightning speed and before Alec knew it, he was gone.

Alec finally noticed that there was snow and he looked up at the sky and saw the flakes called strongly. He pulled the hood over his head and surged through the blizzard towards the castle entrance. He half expected the large wooden doors to be locked, but when he pushed on them, they swung open. He nervously took a step in and looked around.