Chapter Five

Later, I came downstairs and flopped down on the couch. With one arm over my stomach, I placed the other behind my head for support as I stared up at the ceiling, lost in thinking about my day so far.

First, there was the cry for help. Secondly, I got attacked by a strange creature and got saved by a mysterious girl. Thirdly, I heard a voice that shouldn't have been there. And of course, fourthly, I had a crazy dream. Out of all of it, I was glad I didn't get grounded in the end. However, what I didn't expect was to get a new phone. Was it me or was this all becoming a bit foreboding?

And speaking of the crazy dreams, I tried my hardest to expel the images from my mind's eye, but the poor girl's lifeless face was etched into my retinas and embedded in my memory. Every time it flashed in front of me, I became slightly disoriented and nauseous. I hated my eidetic memory. Sure, it made it easier to remember clues and gather and recall any information I picked up through my five senses, but it was far from being a gift. With my dreams—visions—whatever the hell they were anymore—it made remembering faces like a photocopier and made the details of the dream more vivid and lucid.

Just when the afterimage disappeared, the news article flashed in my mind. Why wouldn't my mind shut up? It appeared in front of me almost as if I could reach out and touch it. Rereading over it, I got the distinct feeling something in the report was missing. I also had this strong overwhelming need to help solve this unexplainable death. Why was I looking to get involved in stuff like this again? Why could I believe she just had enough with life and suicide herself to death?

It was like I was being called, almost like someone was beckoning me. There was something fishy about this whole thing. A new gulf of fear crashed into me and sank deep into the core of my heart. But, and here's the weirder part, it wasn't my own fear. It was someone else's. Was someone implanting these cryptic thoughts and emotions into me? If so, who was doing it? Was it the voice again?

I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind. There was no point in dwelling on the issue at the moment. There's where my problem lied in the first place. I couldn't stop myself. The guilt and hurt were preventing me from thinking straight. I didn't want to dwell on this anymore! I didn't want to feel like this again! I just wanted to go back to the way things were.

After glancing up at the clock, I'd realized I'd been down here for over an hour now. A while ago I'd woken up from the best sleep I've had in days. It was so pleasant and peaceful I didn't want to wake up. Though, I admit it was also strange. I expected dreams after reading the news article. However, I'm grateful nonetheless. And, of course, Zoe had kept to her word. She did in fact come and check on me. And what woke me up was the feel of her soft hand against my forehead. She had asked how I felt and I told her I felt immensely better. She had smiled and said my fever was gone. I was glad because I didn't want to go the hospital. Let's just put it this way, me and hospitals didn't go good together. Trust me on this one.

Just lying here in absolute quietness, there was something missing. Then it hit me. Mack and Zoe weren't here. They had left an hour ago. Neither of them informed me on where they were going, not like it's my business anyway, and only telling me they would be gone for a few days. It wasn't the first time I'd be staying alone in the house. This was a common experience. It usually happened every week or so. In the end, they would come back in two or five days.

Before I came out of my bedroom earlier, I plugged in my laptop so it could charge. Also I sent my friends my new number which I got from Zoe's address planner which she had gotten when I was at school. She was a bit old school, I guess, but I also felt she was cautious. I wished I could send emails, but unfortunately, even though I had my laptop, Symon blocked all email and social media sites, and so I couldn't contact anybody. He didn't want anyone discovering my location. It was his way of protecting me.