Chapter Fifteen: Fear and Hope

I didn't know what to say. I stared at him, unsure of what to say. I was struck with fear - fear that he knew where I'd been, who I'd been with. He was, after all, the only one who knew about what happened that night. I swallowed my fears and tried to act normal.

"Ryan, what are you doing here?" I asked, my voice cold and unfeeling.

"Well, you could at least try to contain your excitement," Ryan smirked. "Seriously? Is that the kind of welcome I get from my girl?"

"I'm not your-"

"Oh, I realize that. You have someone else now, don't you?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"

He chuckled as he moved towards me. "You must think I'm retarded, Allison. Is this shirt yours? Are those sweatpants yours?"

I did my best not to show my fear. "I stayed over at Georgia's. Her boyfriend let me borrow them," I lied, and prayed it didn't show. "You never answered me. What are you doing here?"

I walked past him and went into the ensuite bathroom. He followed.

"I just wanted to drop by. It's been a while," he said. "Also, my father's holding a celebration for his 50th birthday later this month. It's on our yacht."

I laughed. "Of course it's on your yacht," I muttered. Ryan's family were filthy rich. Emphasis on filthy.

"I expect you'll be there."

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"You'll be there," he insisted. 

I stared at him, determined. "I don't know, Ryan."

"Why not? Do you have plans with him?"

I narrowed my eyes at Ryan. "Who is him?"

"I think we both know who he is. Just because I don't see you very often, doesn't mean I don't see what you're doing and who you're doing it with."

I didn't know what to say. Did he know? Or was he just being his usual, jerk-ish self? I had no way of telling.

"You have to leave," I told him. "Now."

"If that's what you want," he sighed. "But I'll be back for you."

I rolled my eyes. "Out. Now."

***

That Monday, I tried my best to forget about Ryan. He knew too much. He was a very serious threat. I'd be lying if I said that didn't frighten me.

My fears were soon forgotten when Georgia came running towards me.

"Allison! I just had art class - Mr. Halter wants us to start working on the mural this week. Are you still in?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, definitely."

"Great! He wants to talk to us after school. Can you make it?"

Again, I nodded my head. "Of course," I told her.

Georgia smiled. "Great. Y'know, he's an amazing teacher. You really are missing out - I still can't believe you dropped art!" she laughed. "I was telling Mr. Halter how amazing your art is-"

I felt my cheeks flare and redden. She was talking to him about me?