Saoirse's Compendium | A Collection of Creatures, Objects, & Lore

[ WILL BE ADDDED TO AS THE BOOK PROGRESSES]

Fair Folk: Fair Folk was a term bestowed on the Faerys who appear more Mortal than their brethren

Fair Folk: Fair Folk was a term bestowed on the Faerys who appear more Mortal than their brethren. But it would be wrong to let their deceptive appearance fool; they are far more devious that what they appear to be. They play foul tricks upon Mortals, and there are few and far inbetween that behave kindly. Mortals have no evidence of Faery existence, but have heard whispers of their treachery, and have thus taken great pains to protect themselves from faery machinations.

                                                            ***                                                        

. Gentry Fey | Beautiful, cunning faerys of devious natures. They are said to have been Blessed with magic beyond comprehension, far beyond what the mundane folk are capable of doing. Such is the reason they are hailed as superior.

→    . Faery of Flesh | A Faery Blessed with the magic of Flesh. Often, they can use this ability to change their appearance. Flesh magic can also be manifested in myriad other ways, playing with shadows, shapeshifting, sifting through wards of worlds beyond their expanse.

→    . Faery of Vision | A Faery Blessed with the magic of Vision. They can weave illusions and trickery. They are capable of extreme mental prowess. Some are benevolent, but most oft are unkind, finding amusement in poisoning feeble minds with nightmares. Some are said to have gone mad, sanity twisted and warped from imbibing such strong magic.

→    . Faery of Iron | An anomaly amongst Faerys, for the blood of such a Faery runs with iron, the very antithesis to their magic. It is not known how they are born or where the magic comes from, only that such magic cannot be inherited. But as for why such a Faery would exist? It was judged, long ago, that a Faery of Iron was born of a tear in an accord. A manifestation of broken honor, a curse. Most often, it has been seen, that such a child is born of an affair. Faerys of Iron are feared and reviled by most all, shunned to the fringes. But many cruel a King have sought their gifts and exploited them.

. Mundane Folk | Faerys not Blessed with magic. They pledge allegiance to either Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, or The Alder King.

                                                                ✥

Woodland Folk: Some are tricky and conniving, but many have no desire to play a part in the cruelties of Faerys. Some are stingy with their nature and have come to aid Mortals only in times of great need, others exact a price for interacting with Mortals. 

                                                              ***

Brownie | Small, secretive faery ilk what do common household tasks. They prefer to work during the night while Mortals slumber away. Often, for their tasks, they demand honey, porridge, cream, or sugar in payment. It is better, Saoirse has discovered, to leave a gift for them nightly, for then they will certainly be more inclined to aid you.  

Will o' The Wisp | Again, these creatures are small and slight, but they don a brilliant cape of light. If they are in a particularly charitable mood, they have been known to escort and guide a weary, lost traveller through forests. But generally, they roam only Faery lands. 

Goblin | Small, horrendous, mischievous creatures often of a grotesque temperament. They are known for their greed and penchant for gemstones, gold, and riches. They have been known to rob unsuspecting Mortals. They are conniving and devious, and it is often best, one does not seek them out, and entreat their presence. 

Red Cap | A murderous breed of Goblin of exceptional malevolence. Typically, they inhabit woodland areas that have been bathed in treachery and ghoulish deeds. They are renowned for the blood-soaked cap they wear, which they dip into the blood of their victims -- nourishing themselves and their magic. Their appearance is often depicted as grotesque; stringy hair, prominent teeth, diminutive, stocky statue, carrying a pikestaff of pickaxe. It would be a sign of ill fortune if one were to encounter A Red Cap. 

Troll | Woodland ilk that are very rarely seen. Often times, they stay burrowed beneath ground, out of sight from others. Some are said to be stocky, grotesque, covered in warts, bearing stringy hair and hawkish noses. They are said to dine on all manner of things in mud hovels; vultures, alligator eggs, rabbit feet, and more. Others are said to be just as exquisite, if not more so, than the Air Folk. An unwillingness to propagate jealousy may very well be the reason they are rarely seen. The ones with more Mortal-like appearances are said to live in all manners of finery and lavishness. 

Pixie | Tricky, unsuspecting faery ilk. Some are kind and inclined to aid, others are wicked. Mainly, they are an irritant. 

Hobgoblin | Of kin to Brownies, Hobgoblins also frequent homes and hearths, trading their toils for food. Unlike their father kind counterparts, they are common tricksters. One should be wary to let them in. 

                                                                     ✥

Water Folk: This particular ilk lurks only in bodies of water. Some are cruel, some are kind. But as with all Faerys, it would be advised to not entreat them or play into their swindles and games. 

                                                                   ***

Selkie | Beings that don the skin of a seal whilst in water. They shed it once they step on land. They are fiercely protective of their sealskin.  

                                                             OBJECTS

A Hag's Stone | Stones that have been drilled through with a hole made by water. Humans see them as protective charms; wards against conniving faerys.