Chapter Seven

A/N: I'm sorry for not having written in over a week, but a combination of the 'flu, a damaged computer battery, and a lack of inspiration, do not make for a good chapter, but as an apology, I've written an especially long one this time just to make up for it! Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for all the reviews and votes so far! They make my day!

Chapter Seven

Two weeks later

"That was a good sermon, Reverend." Miss Nellie shook Reverend Edwards' hand as she came out the church door, her battered brown hat perched firmly on her grey hair. Behind her came Hope, wearing a bonnet and her navy-blue dress, holding Maggie's hand.

"Are we eating here or at the boarding-house?" Hope asked once they had descended the church steps. Around them, people were spreading out blankets and getting baskets of food from their respective wagons. It was a beautiful day: bright and warm and not a cloud in sight, and the people from the homesteads outside of town who travelled so many miles to church often chose to bring and eat their dinner instead of waiting to get home.

Nellie looked around. "Here, I reckon. I've got a couple of baskets in the wagon. Seems a shame to go all the way home; don't know when we'll get weather like this again."

"I'll get them," Hope offered. She turned to go to the wagon, when Maggie tugged on her skirt lightly. "Mama?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Can we ask Mr Cal to come and eat with us?"

Hope glanced around the parishioners assembled on the green. "I don't see him anywhere." 

"He's over there, by the graveyard." Maggie pointed.

Hope followed her daughter's finger until she caught sight of Calvin. He was standing just outside the graveyard, his red shirt standing out against the background of green. Silently, she wondered what he was doing there. Did he have family buried in the graveyard? A sweetheart maybe? 

"Mama?" Maggie sounded impatient.

Hope glanced at Nellie. "Is that alright with you?"

The old woman shrugged, a twinkle in her eye. "I've got food and to spare. Be a downright pity to waste it."

Maggie squealed and ran off, her short legs working like pistons as her white dress flew up in the air with her movement.

"Be careful!" Hope called out, shaking her head reprovingly, but inside, she felt a warmth in her chest. Maggie seemed so fond of Calvin, and he had been nothing but kind to her. Watching the two of them together both hurt and gladdened her at the same time.

A movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and Hope turned. Angel stood on the edge of the church green, a lacy wrap around her shoulders, her eyes scanning the crowd as if looking for someone.

"Excuse me a minute," Hope said, walking over to her. She got close just as Sheriff Wyatt made his way over, his set jaw practically radiating self-righteousness.

"What are you doing here?" he asked Angel curtly. "Looking for business?"

The brunette's eyes flashed. "I wasn't doing nothin' of the kind," she retorted sharply. "I was looking for--"

"What's going on?" Hope asked, deciding to intervene just at that moment.

The sheriff turned around. "Mrs McClellen! Ma'am, you don't need to concern yourself with this. She'll be gone in a minute."

"I'm not concerned," Hope replied calmly. "What is it, Angel?"

The saloon girl shot the sheriff a look and then stepped forward. "I just came to give you your money," she said softly, reaching into her wrap and pulling out some coins. "For the dresses you made me."