Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter 34 - Elliot vs. Anna

I watched as the judge entered the courtroom, slowly making his way up to his platform.

"Everyone but the jury, please be seated." We all took our seats, and I watched as the bailiff swore in the jury.

I sat back in my seat as I listened to the prosecutor lead the opening statement, Elliot's lawyer bickering with her every other sentence.

Elliot just sat coldly in his orange jumpsuit, watching me. I did my best to not to make eye contact as his obsession with me was clearly still very real.

"I would like to call my first witness up to the stand. Mallory Everby." My lawyer raised her hand towards Mallory. I turned in my chair, watching her as she stood and straightened out her skirt. Her heels clicked at she approached the stand, and was swore in.

"Miss Everby, tell us in detail, what happened the night you and Miss Jacobs were attacked."

"Well there were some personal things going on with Anna's-" Mallory paused and looked past me, I'm assuming at Parker. "friend." She took a breath and continued on. "So we were driving to see her friend and we lost control of the car. The car crashed into a snow bank on Elliot's street." She paused again, and my lawyer signaled for her to continue.

"We tried to call her friend for help, and we got through enough to tell him where we were, and then-" She paused for a second, "the call failed." I watched as Mallory lied through her teeth. It wasn't a lie that would affect the trial, but it was simply to avoid the awkwardness. "About a minute later, we noticed Elliot's car pulling up to his house. We tried to get down and hide and I accidentally hit the horn, and then he started coming towards us so we freaked out and tried to reverse, but we were stuck."

There was the sound of a chair screeching and suddenly Elliot's lawyer was standing up. "Objection your honor!" The judge gave him the right to speak. "So you're telling me, that you just happened to crash the car outside his house? And you just accidentally pressed the horn on the steering wheel, from the passenger seat?" He spoke in an intimidating tone.

"Well no-" Mallory was cut off again.

"Your honor, to me it sounds as if this was a deliberate way to make him break his restraining order."

What?!

"Overruled." The judge spoke. "Please continue Miss Everby."

"Elliot lives on the main road that goes towards Parker's. That's why we were on his street. We tried to avoid any back roads that may not have been plowed. And I was leaning over Anna's lap to hide." She defended herself, seeming to panic.

"What happened next?" My lawyer stood firm in her place, seeming to be confident with our position and that gave me some relief.

"We couldn't get the car to move and eventually, Elliot came over and knocked on the window, so we rolled it down and he offered to help us. He told us that one of us would have to get out and help push, and he suggested I do it because I had boots on. So I got out of the car, and we started pushing as Anna tried to reverse, and the next thing I knew, he stabbed me."

"But it didn't end there, correct? You were conscious long enough to witness him attacking your friend, correct?"

"Yes." Mallory nodded. "I saw him hitting her while she was on the ground and then I passed out."

"Thank you." My lawyer left the floor open and Elliot's lawyer approached Mallory.

"Is it true that you and Elliot have a history of dating?"