Chapter Two: Entrances

Running her gaze around the room, Azara had to admit she was impressed. Red columns marched in orderly lines that separated the seating areas from the main walkway. The ceiling was a mass of intricate green, red and gold tiles, while behind her silk-cushioned chair was a cloth painting of a flock of white birds. There was a low buzz of voices, a few people seated in chairs away from her, some glancing at her. She was the only foreigner so she didn't blame them. It had certainly taken her long enough to get here.

Azara reached up to pat her head, checking to make sure no brown strands had escaped the pinning she'd put them through. Putting her hair up was the only way to disguise its short length. As it was, her clothes would already mark her as an outsider.

She ran hands down her trousers, full enough to make it appear she wore skirts. It was too hot, and she envied the women she'd seen in their loose silk jackets and pants. It looked far more comfortable than her tight vest underneath her long matching coat.

Only her white shirt was thin, the material cheap cotton. It was mostly hidden by the rest of her outfit, and with the way she went through shirts, she wasn't about to waste her money on anything more substantial.

And it had taken half of the money she'd looted while freeing Fiame along with several weeks to get into the palace. She'd known it wouldn't be easy to get an audience with the emperor, but she hadn't expected to have to pay quite so much for bribes and appropriate papers. Especially since she was presenting herself as a slave dealer, one who specialized in mages.

Another official was escorted in. The four guards in their dark uniforms, two holding bayonets, while the other two carrying the curved sabres common here, watched everyone. The huge floor-to-ceiling doors remained closed. Much smaller doors cut into the red-painted wood were used by those allowed into the throne room.

She eyed the officials, the last few weeks having taught her the difference between them and the nobles. A loose blue silk overrobe with an embroidered square featuring different birds was worn over an inner robe of white and gold.

Noblemen seemed to wear shorter versions of the overrobe, closer to the loose jacket of the noblewomen. Those overrobes came in a variety of brilliant colours and elaborate patterns. It was a richer landscape of clothing than the more muted colours and designs Azara was used to.

She was studying the peony pattern of the cushion on the chair beside her when soft footsteps drew her attention towards the centre of the hall. Or rather, to the official just now stopping in front of her. The woman bowed. "Honourable trader, if you will please accompany me, you are to be granted your audience with his celestial majesty."

Azara stood and offered a short bow back. "Thank you." The words felt awkward in her mouth despite an ear for languages. She'd given up on learning to read or write other languages—beyond the few things she needed to pass as a merchant.

Falling into step behind the woman, she felt the weight of the guards' gazes on her. She didn't pay them attention. She wasn't carrying weapons, and didn't except as subterfuge. Outwardly, she shouldn't look like any threat at all.

When her guide stopped in front of the short door, Azara did the same. "His celestial majesty will decide when your audience has ended. At that time, you will exit to the right where you will be escorted to the palace gates."

She swallowed a grimace. She needed to catch and hold the emperor's attention, or all her time and effort would be a waste. Having seen the sheer number of guards as well as the military housed nearby, there was no way she could break in and break any fire mages out. It would be suicide, even for her. A soft ring was muffled by the heavy wood of the door. The official nodded, and her compatriot opened the door, bowing at Azara. She followed his direction and stepped through, hearing the door close quietly behind her.