Four

He blinked up at his boss.

"Pardon?"

Callum sighed, "I said, I'm sorry about Summer's behaviour last night."

Eliot's snickering in the background got that slight bit louder. 

"It's not a problem." Jack finally said, feeling oddly insulted. 

Eliot muttered something behind him, shutting up when Callum pinned him with an unamused stare. Callum then nodded back at Jack, dropping the subject in favour of a more familiar tone.

Jack pretended to listen while his boss nattered on about numbers and finances, nodding his head at all the right times and explaining what was on the small screen in front of him when he saw the man point at it with a question in his voice. Really, his mind was miles away with a certain blonde.

He hoped that she hadn't gotten in too much trouble. 

Callum had the mindset of a more traditional alpha, subscribing to the thought that omegas should give alphas their due respect. Jack thought that the boss was pretty lenient with Summer since she was his only child, but he didn't know if the man's ideology went beyond simple talk- perhaps Summer had been punished.

He fought with the urge to make sure she was alright and returned his attention to his work. It wasn't as if he could ask his boss about her, or go down to their house and check for himself. 

And anyway, even if he could, he wouldn't

She wasn't his omega.

The rest of the workday progressed as usual, meaning it was uneventful, until it was finally over and Jack could rush out the office, down the staircase and towards his car. He was ready to get home and away from the curious eyes of his coworkers. Those who had stayed long enough were replaying the events from the previous evening in their heads, looking at him with varying expressions of amusement to sympathy.

Once again, he couldn't put his finger on why, but their stares made him feel affronted. It was like they were saying he was some sad, socially incompetent alpha who couldn't handle the attention from the opposite gender.

It made him feel old.

"Damn it." He forewent driving out of the parking lot for picking up his phone as it started to buzz on the passenger seat. "May. What is it?"

"That's not a very nice way to greet your sister."

Jack could hear the rolling of her eyes through the phone and matched it with one of his own.

"Tough." He said, placing his hands-free in so that he could drive and talk at the same time. "Why are you calling?"

She managed to conceal her sigh, "can't I just call to see how my baby brother is doing? Why must you think I always want something?"

He laughed. "It's never just a simple call with you. But if you must know, everything is just peachy."

"Gosh," she groaned. "Aren't you in a bad mood today, or what?"

"I'm fine."

"Sounds like you need to fight out some of that aggression." She said in a false macho voice.

"Are you offering to fight me?"

"Of course not! It wouldn't be a fair battle seeing as I'm so incredibly strong compared to you."

If May had been an alpha, which was extremely rare for females, Jack may have thought she was challenging him with that statement. 

He was glad she was only a beta.