FD | Skype Call

“You know, staring at your phone all day isn’t going to make him text any faster.”

I made a face at Arabelle before chucking one of my pillows at her face.  That was supposed to make her shut up, but she couldn’t be deterred.  Instead of apologizing and leaving me to stare at my cell phone in peace, she fell back on my bed in a fit of guffaws.  Well then, Arabelle.  Well then.

“Shut up!” I exclaimed, swatting at Arabelle as she crawled over to me and leaned her head over my shoulder.  “Dude, you’re totally in my personal space right now.”

Arabelle grinned and shook her head before falling backward again.  I twisted around and watched as she cocked an eyebrow at me.  “How long have you been waiting for him to text, anyway?” she asked.  “And why are you waiting for him to text?”

I picked at my comforter for a moment before answering.  “About an hour,” I mumbled.  When Arabelle’s other eyebrow rose, I sighed exasperatedly.  “Okay, maybe two.  We’re supposed to Skype, so.”

“And you’ve been sitting here this whole time?”  Arabelle rolled her eyes.  “Babe, I did not take you for one of those girls.”

“I literally just sat down to check my phone,” I replied, sniffing and bringing a hand through my hair.  “I’m insulted, Belle.  Like, seriously.”

I wasn’t lying, either.  Sure, I was getting antsy because Will was now almost two hours late, but that didn’t mean I was sitting around here doing nothing while I waited for his text.  I had books to read, a paper to write.  You know, stuff to do. 

Arabelle was about to answer, but suddenly my phone rang and cut her off before she could even begin her sentence.  Instead of being annoyed, however, she simply tossed me a grin and a wink before ambling out of the room. 

“Calling, Dyer?” I asked teasingly as I placed the phone next to my ear.  “Interesting.”

This would be where Will would laugh and make a smart remark before telling me to get my butt on Skype.  But the laugh didn’t come.  “I’m sorry I’m late, Falice,” he muttered, his voice tight.

Eyebrows drawn, I stood up from my bed and wrapped my free arm over my stomach.  I could feel my stomach twisting with concern.  His tone worried me.  “Is everything all right?” I asked softly.  “Did something happen?”

“Yeah,” Will replied.  Whether he meant yes, everything was all right or yes, something happened, I wasn’t sure.  I was about to ask, but he started talking again before I could.  “Are you ready to Skype?”

“Yeah, sure,” I murmured, falling back on my bed and grabbing my laptop.  As I opened it and turned it on, I kept my phone pressed to my ear, silently willing Will to tell me what was wrong.  He didn’t say anything, though.

“Okay, I’m going to hang up so I can video call,” I said, trying to keep my tone light as I logged into Skype.  “’Kay?”

“Okay,” Will replied.

The line went dead and I shut my phone.  Lips pursed, I tossed my phone to the side and clicked on Will’s contact.  Our chat popped up with his profile picture on the side.  I felt a small smile curling on my lips as I stared at the picture.  It was the same picture I had as his contact photo on my phone—the one with him holding his phone up, a slight smile curled on his lips while his brown eyes dared me to force him to take another picture.  It was obvious that he hadn’t brushed his hair, but it did him no harm.  It was impossible for him to be unattractive, really.  At least to me.

A moment later Will logged on, and his request for a video call popped up.  I didn’t hesitate before accepting.  I felt the same giddy feeling curl its way into my stomach as his video loaded.  I was so dang excited for this.  We hadn’t Skyped in over a week.