Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

Evelyn left Kiera’s room with a frown, uncertain how to make everything up to her friend. Kiera would figure things out soon, especially once Evelyn got her into this new world and its customs. The party tonight would be a perfect way to start. There would be no pressure on Kiera, and Evelyn would be there to support her.

Kiera had no clue how curious Romas’s brothers were about her. To them, she was an exotic little doll with her huge, gem-hued eyes, black hair, and toned hour-glass shape. Everyone was fascinated by something so exotic compared to their standards. Even Romas’s mother had inquired about Kiera.

None of your savage brothers would properly complement such a beautiful little treasure, Romas, the woman had said with gentle humor. Though one of them must try. Kisolm has already spoken to your father.

Romas had then been given the painful job of explaining to Kisolm that Kiera would most likely not meld well with their traditions, and Kisolm would have to be disappointed. Evelyn had almost laughed when Lishana's eyebrows shot up in response gave but loved Romas so much more for understanding Kiera well enough to defend her.

“Is she well?” Romas’s voice distracted her from her thoughts. She turned to wait for him to join her and smiled.

“I think so. Shocked, upset. Can’t blame her,” she said. “She thinks everyone here views her as short and fat.”

“My brothers are lining up to make her their mate,” he said with a shake of his head. “If only she understood our culture better.”

“She doesn’t,” she said with a warning look. “We dragged her here, but that’s as far as I can go.”

“I know, love,” he said, and kissed her on the forehead. “I told them all so.”

They hugged for a long moment, her heart singing. How she loved his scent and strong arms! She looked at the band on her arm, then down the hall toward Kiera before propping her chin on his chest to gaze at him.

“You’re sure your brother won’t try anything after what that guy said? They were fighting over her. That A’Ran guy sounded pretty convincing about kidnapping her.”

Romas was thoughtful before responding. “A’Ran and Kisolm have been competing against each other for years. They taunt each other whenever they have the chance and oftentimes want to anger the other but don’t intend to follow through. A’Ran comes from the barbarian planet, but he won’t disrespect our family. I have warned all my brothers, and Kisolm will respect my wishes.”

“A’Ran looked pretty savage,” she said with a shiver. “He’s locked up, right?”

“He is.”

“And someone other than Kisolm has the key?”

“We don’t use keys,” he answered. “We use honor. He is placed in a room where he must stay, unless someone frees him. He won’t leave.”

“You trust him?” she asked skeptically.

“It has always been this way. Before we had spaceships, we still had war. The only way to protect innocent people from the blood feud that runs between my family and A’Ran’s was to use honor.” He took her hand as they started to walk down the hall.

Evelyn glanced over her shoulder again, feeling uneasy. If only Kiera had stayed seated or didn’t have such a hyperactive bladder or just waited five minutes! Romas could have convinced his brother to leave Kiera be, but now, with a blatant challenge from the prisoner, who had dared Kisolm to claim Kiera before he did … Romas trusted his brother, but Evelyn had seen the look on Kisolm’s face when he looked at Kiera.