Chapter 9.

Howl did not came back for the next seven days. All that time, I grew weaker. The cleaning of the castle was done and Markl and Calcifer admitted the castle looked better. I also had a headache 24/7 hours. I was very tired and weak and ill.

On the afternoon of the seventh day, me and Markl went to Porthaven for shopping. We bought some potatoes and while we went to buy a fish, a sudden chaos drew away our attention. There was half burnt ship coming from the war. Thick black smoke was coming out from the fire while the crew jumped in the water to save their lives. Seeing this reminded me of my family and I felt so weak suddenly that I went home abruptly.

"Are you okay, (Y/N)?" Markl asked once we were indoors.

"Yes I am fine" I lied. I cooked dinner after which Markl headed upstairs. I could not sleep so instead I opened some books.

Once again I tried reading those books but it was impossible. I could make out a few words like "ingredients of the disappearing potion" and "lizard's tale".

While I was fighting with the language of the book, the door opened and Howl came in. I was very surprised to see him.

"Howl" I said standing up. I had almost forgotten that he would ever come back. The book slipped from my hand and landed on the floor. It was too late to hide the book and he saw me.

Afraid he would get angry, I immediately stood up and gave a bow saying "sorry!"

"What were you doing with that book?" Howl asked pointing at the book.

"Trying to read it" I replied slyly.

He came forward and picked up the book. "Did you understood it?" he asked.

"Nope. Just some words" I shrugged sadly.

Howl smiled and went over to the table. There were two stools near it. He sat on one and motioned me to sit on the second one. I sat down next to him as he opened the book.

"Won't you have some dinner?" I asked "and where were you all this time."

"No where special" he answered.

After that he started flipping the pages of the book, scanning each one of them carefully. All this time, Howl looked tired so I thought better and went up to make him a mug of coffee.

When I returned, however, he looked surprised.

"What's that for?" he asked staring at the coffee. "I just thought you need it" I replied and to my greatest amusement, the next minute he had finished the whole cup.

Then he said, "(Y/N) there is something strange about you."

"About me?" I asked.

"Yes" he replied "I was surprised when you said you could understand a few words from these books."

"Why?" I inquired. "Because only witches and wizards can read this language" he said quietly "or other magical creatures". At this I stood up.

"I know where you are getting at" I said "but I'm not a witch- or anything but a human." Howl stood up.

"Yes you are" he said "why did I touch your forehead the other day? It was to check whether you really were something and so you are." "But none of my family members are witches or wizards or more" I protested.

"They need not be" he answered sitting down on the stool. I became very quiet.

"What proof is there?" I finally asked quietly.

"Nosy aren't you?" Howl said "Calcifer knows. And anyway, just for the proof, I'll have to teach you some magic in order to see whether you really are one or not." I sighed and closed my eyes as the throbbing pain in my head began again.

"You okay?" he asked gently yet with concern in his tone.

"Yes, Howl" I lied once again.

"Not Howl" Howl said "from now on, you'll call me Master Howl."

I nodded and then stuck my tongue out at him. It so happened that he had turned his head back to the book.

"Let's teach you a bit" he said.

"This is magic language" Howl began "the writings on it are easy and you can read them only if you learn them like alphabets. They also need to be pronounced carefully since most of them are curses and will end up in something bad if you don't care."

Howl ran his finger over the writings, reading them out loud.

"Ingredients for disappearing potion" he said "in this, you have the letters i, n, g, r, e..." Howl pronounced each of the alphabets then got a paper and a pen. He stared writing something on it.

While we both had our heads joined over the book, I couldn't help noticing the scar on Howl's cheek.

Finally I asked "what happened to your cheek?"

"Nothing" Howl replied touching his cheek. He gave a sudden expression which suggested that it hurt a great deal.

"Wait" I told him as I stood up to go to the shelves. I got some potions and bandages from there and went back to Howl.

"This is the payback for treating my wound" I smiled as I applied potions on his scar.

Howl was very surprised and quiet. He had stopped writing and meekly stared at me as I treated his wound. When it was done, I placed the potions back in their places. When I turned around, I saw Howl going upstairs carrying the page and the pen.

"But we are not done with the language!" I protested.

"Tomorrow" Howl said "good night!"

After that the only sound was of his gentle footsteps as I made my way back to my bed.

Howl's POV

I closed the door shut behind me. Dropping the page and pen aside, slowly I walked to my bed and threw myself on it.

"That girl is irresistible" I whispered thinking about (Y/N). The way she looked at me while she treated my wound. I held my head in my hands.

No! I can't say anything to her. It would mean breaking her heart. No never!

Votes? Comments?