iii. back to one

REMINDER: Italics are hieroglyphs.

A M U N E T

I threw my backpack in the truck of my Jeep before climbing into the driver's seat. I stared, blankly ahead. I had found nothing, as usual.. Only different prophecies about Seti, Medjais, Set, Aten and his priests and others.

The people from the New Kingdom had really written everything, except for me and Imhotep and all our baggage, of course. Not a single thing was left out beside us, starting from known history. But also, there was this thing about them... They had evolved but, they had still stuck to the old prophecies and ancient stories and all that fictional jazz. Even I realized that all those things were just blasphemy and I had been a teacher - a priestess with a temporary vow of celibacy. I wondered why.

Some of their prophecies and the old prophecies were a bit similar to those of Iraq's ancient civilizations. That made me wonder even more if it was true. They even had some mythical creatures in common. Both of them had mentioned the sun - Amun and/or Aten. Both had mentioned older civilizations. Both had mentioned end of times and dopplegangers. And I wondered if some of it was true. Or was it just some stories travelling?

Maybe I could busy myself with that. That thought reminded me of my decision - the decision to give up. What would I do? Where would I go? I already knew how to start anew but, from what part should I start? Who should I be? Would I ever be able to be myself?

Would I be okay on my own? Making that decision meant making the decision to forget him. How would I ever forget him when his memory had been the one thing to keep me sane, most of my life?

Him and all the wars, I had gone through, were all I had ever known. I had been done with the wars for some time. Now, what about him? How would I ever be done with him? I knew for sure I could never forget him but then, how would I leave if I didn't forget him?

But how would I live if I did forget him?

I M H O T E P

A scorching light made me shut my eyes as I had opened them. What had surprised me then, was the warmth in my face and a silky blanket underneath my body. The humid air around me was not harsh and heavy as I had been used to in the past few days but, was.. Alright. I tries to open my eyes again, catching sight of a bright orbit shining back into my eyes before being forced to close them. I rolled on my side with my eyes tightly shut as I groaned in pain.

Where was I? I laid there, trying to focus my numb senses to know where I was. I started coughing as soon as I realized that I was not even breathing. My heart suddenly gave a strong beat as if it had been asleep for so long and it only just woke up. I clutched at my chest, curling up as I gasped for air as my heart started beating, frantically. I let out a grunt as I still laid there, panting - trying to get air to properly fill my lungs. My heart continued to beat faster, my breathing picking up pace with it. I shut my eyes tighter in pain as I clenched my jaws. A shout filled my ears as my heart continued to drum quickly inside my chest.

Then, silence.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Only when my heartbeat steadied and the pain filled shout silenced, did I realize that the shout was my own. My breathing eased as I still laid there tired. Gradually, my senses came back to life. Everything became clearer - warmer. I felt warm humid air hitting my cheek, soothingly as I recognized the silky blanket underneath my body to be golden sand. I slowly, sat up, letting out sounds of pain.

Empty mountains of sand upon sand surrounded me as the sun slowly disappeared behind them. What? How? What was I doing here? How did I come here? Had someone brought me back? Traitors from the Medjai? Templar wannabes? Modern Age teenagers? Or was this another stage of torture, prepared specifically for the numb ones?

But there was no one to answer those questions. And so, I did the one thing I had never thought I would do... I walked.

A M U N E T

I had pulled the hood of my sweatshirt over my head and my scarf over my nose as the wind started to pick up. Then, I felt around for my goggles in my backpack. My eyes teared up due to sand getting inside them as my hand continued its search, frantically. I finally felt it so, I grabbed the edge of it to take it out, only to have it fall out of my fingers. I hissed, looking down at it for a second before forcing my eyes back on the way. Suddenly, a walking figure appeared in my view in front of my car and I gasped, not having any time to divert the car.

My car sent the man flying over it as it hit him. I killed the engine, immediately leaning down to get my goggles and a bottle of water. I threw the goggles over my eyes before hopping out of my car. I sprinted to the man's side, dropping down to my knees once I reached him.

"Please, don't be dead." I breathed out, shakily. I flipped him on his back, opening my bottle to use the water to clean his face which was covered in grains and blood. I let the water spill on his face, gently washing all the dirt away from it with my shaky hands. I let my hand rest on his cheek as I turned slightly to put the bottle aside. I turned back to look at his face and..

I froze.

It couldn't be.

How?

No.

I jumped to my feet, staggering backwards as I gasped. I let out a slight scream as memories of him rushed to mind.. It was him... It was...

"Imhotep?"

I FoundOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara