X

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

MUCH TO MADAME Garderobe's dismay, Celeste continued to pace around her room. The girl was never one to be nervous. Scared at times, yes, most definitely, but never nervous. She never felt like this before the Prince was a beast, but then again, he was an arrogant jerk. Though his appearance was much different now, Adam was much more tolerable now.

"If you keep pacing, I won't be able to dress you for the dance." The wardrobe spoke in annoyance. "Then you'll be stuck in that!" She stated dramatically, pointing at the simple red dress the brunette was wearing.

"What's wrong with this?"

"Absolutely nothing," Madame Garderobe assured, "I am the one that made it after all. It just isn't fit for a dance. Especially for a beauty such as yourself."

Celeste sighed and stood in front of the wardrobe. "I don't see the big deal," she lied to herself. "It's just Prince Adam."

Madame Garderobe laughed, "If it was just the Prince you wouldn't be this nervous, Celeste."

Though Celeste knew her feelings for the Prince had changed, she didn't know when it started happening. She didn't think he was a monster after he saved her from the wolves, but she didn't like him by any means. Even within the last few days, they were essentially inseparable. Was it because the Prince had seen Celeste at her most vulnerable after finding out about her father? She thought so. She had never had someone be so gentle with her. Not even her mother or Belle, the two most gentle people she knew.

Ever since that night, it was evident that the two had more in common than their love of books. Both were outsiders in their homes, and both had less than ideal fathers. Granted, the Prince's seemed much worse. You had to be a truly terrible person to turn an innocent child into the person that the Prince was before recently. Sure, Celeste was the daughter of a beggar, but she would take that any time over dealing with Gaston's father has her own. Much of their conversations revolved around stories of the Prince and his childhood, and Celeste wished that she would've had the pleasure of meeting the Queen. If the woman was anything like her son was now, the girl would have fell in love with her immediately. At the same time, she wished she met the King so she could give him a piece of her mind.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?" The wardrobe asked, a knowing tone to her voice.

Celeste blushed, "how'd you know?"

"You get a certain look on your face, that's all." Garderobe said, putting some finishing touches on the dress that Celeste hadn't realized she was wearing.

"I do not get a look!" Celeste said defensively, and almost too quickly.

"I would know that look anywhere, dear. It is how you have seen Lumiere look at Plumette all the time. You are in love with him."

"I wouldn't go that far—"

Madame Garderobe was not going to tolerate Celeste's denial, and quickly turned the girl to the full-length mirror across the room to shut her up. "And how the Prince will look at you when he sees you."

Celeste gasped when she saw herself, never in her life did she think she would look this beautiful. She adored Garderobe dearly, but was hesitant to have the wardrobe dress for such an evening, especially after her first night at the castle. But, after looking in the mirror, she couldn't imagine herself coming even close to the beauty that was this dress.

Celeste almost didn't recognize herself. For the first time ever, her hair was pulled out of her face with a few strands framing it. The dress is what truly stunned the girl, it was something she could only dream of seeing in person, and wearing it was almost surreal. The yellow dress looked as if it floated around her, and despite the many layers, it felt just as lighter than her usual attire, it was like a feather. "It's beautiful."