Chapter 18

When I woke the next morning, I found myself on a tiny bunk amid a dozen or so strangers, all half-dressed and scurrying about like bees in a hive. I was, for a moment, disoriented. I spent a short time with my mouth ajar, watching, struggling to turn the wheels of a mind still groggy with sleep.

I got up from my bunk and looked around. Most of the other young men were dressed by now, and a few had already left. I glanced down at myself. I was dressed, sure enough, but it was, at best, the garb of a farmer. I noticed all the others were wearing much the same uniforms; simple black trousers, a white undershirt, and a brown leather jerkin.

Knowing I dare not waste any more time, I approached the boy nearest me.

"Hello," I said, "I just got in last night. Where do i get one of those outfits everyone's wearing?"

"Oh?" he said, turning away from the mirror to look at me. He was painstakingly running a small blade over his face, shaving. Though if I had to venture a guess, he didn't really need it. He was only a year or so older than I.

"You mean the uniform? They didn't give you one?" He shook his head. "They're slow with everything here, and there isn't near enough to go around. Annoying, is what it is." He eyed me up and down. "Well, you'll catch hell if you show up wearing that, even though it's their fault for not seeing you got one." He cocked his head to the side. "Tell you what, you can borrow my spare. It'll be a bit big, sure, but it's a long ways better than nothing. I'll need it back when you get your own, though."

"That'd be nice of you."

"Oh that's me, alright. I'm downright saintly, just you ask anyone." He grinned as if at some grand joke. Then he reached under his bunk and pulled out a bundle and tossed it to me.

"You'll have to hurry, but if you're quick I'll show you where to go. I've been here a month already. Hop, though. I can't be late again. My units short a recruit, anyways, so maybe I can get you in there. It'd be nice to not be the little guy for a change."

I didn't much care for the sound of being the little guy, when it came down to it, but I couldn't see much of a way around it, either. Slim chance of finding someone smaller.

I started pulling on clothing. The slacks fit fine, but the shirt was baggy. I didn’t complain.

Though I dressed quickly we were still the last to leave the barracks. The older boy led the way to the door, dashing out of the building and across the grassy yard. For a moment I was taken aback at the mass of people milling about—at least a hundred in sight upon the massive practice yard, all sectioned into little groups…squads, I supposed. They all seemed to be working at their own pace. It seemed a confusing, unorganized mess to me, but the boy seemed to have no trouble making his way through it all.

He started talking even as we ran, and I had to strain to hear. "There are something like twenty squads here right now, seven men apiece. Or at least that’s what they're supposed to have. Four recruits, two regulars, and the leader, a vet. Regulars teach the recruits, vet teaches the regulars. Everybody learns on the march. We're at war so there's no time to stop and hold anybody's hand."

"You don't talk much, do you?" he asked. I opened my mouth to respond, but he continued before I had a chance to make a sound, "Anyways, we're over here." He pointed to a far corner of the practice grounds. "Like I said, my units short a recruit. If we can get you in there...well, it'd be best. Best for you, and best for me. It's a good unit, lot better than some. But being the new man's the pits no matter what unit you get into." He laughed. "Sorry, but it's true. You'll be fine, though. Just be careful with Jeer," he said. "He's our vet. Meanest mouth in the whole division, but it's only his mouth. He ain't so bad otherwise, really. Usually."