Animal Room

[Written for Wattpad Wednesday on June 11, 2014. This story is a play on the Cube Test, which occasionally rears its head at pub nights. The story is inspired by musings, music and mania -- not in that order but probably in that mix. My hope is that it would NOT make sense.]

Picture a room, any room. Don’t overthink it; whatever comes to mind first.

Inside the room, picture a burning flame, with its brilliantly fiery tongues lashing out at its surroundings. In my room, the flame is in the centre. Being the only source of tangible light -- animated and frequently nefarious.

Now, in the same room, picture a sheep. My sheep is meek, occupying the periphery of the space. Bathed in the light of the flame and kept at the room’s distance.

Then add a monkey to the mix. Like what I’ve imagined – a monkey jumping rhythmically in place, never leaving its designated spot. It is close enough to the flame to receive comfort and warmth. Just enough to keep it hopping on the spot.

Let’s throw another animal into the room. How about a dog? My dog is even closer to the flame than the monkey. Obediently perched on its hind paws, the heat from the flame is getting a little intense. But worry not; my dog seems to be used to this.

Just as you thought your room couldn’t be any more crowded, a moth flies in. It could be any kind of moth. Where is yours? Mine is dangerously close to the flame, wings flapping furiously. It makes rounds encircling the flame, mesmerized. Little did it know that its wings are quickly disintegrating from the blaze. Its life befalling the more it flies into the fire.

And with that, the flame is both a beginning and an end. A source of comfort and destruction. It lives on as per its life course, blessing some and smoldering others.

So let's play make-believe: I'll be your flame, but for your own sake, don't be my moth.