Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Julia had never seen a military base before; well, not that she could remember anyway.

She had seen things in movies but Julia didn’t watch movies that often since the only cinema they had back home was as outdated as a public phone box and her mother refused to buy a flat screen.

Walking off the road and onto the pristine clean pavement, Julia watched the taxi charge away behind her.

The driver’s kind words echoing in her mind as she looked around at the base.

For a navy base it was far from any water as far as Julia could tell.

But what shocked Julia the most was that it looked like any regular suburban street.

Single storey buildings were erected in rows of streets with people walking about and cars driving down painted roads.

It looked slightly disturbing with everybody smiling and American flags attached to almost everything but the only thing that broke the mirage was what people were wearing.

Either they were in uniform or they were wearing sweats.

The only person out of place right then was Julia in her jeans and top looking around like a lost child.

And she was lost.

Julia had no idea where she was meant to be going and, for a split second, she didn’t know what she was doing here.

She had a comfortable life at home.

She had a good job, a loving family but most of all she wasn’t confused about who she was.

She knew who she was, Julia. But ever since Marcus had come back into her life Julia found herself doubting everything.

She doubted her family because if you’re family loved you then why would they want to keep her past a secret from her?

She wanted to hate Marcus for trying to make her remember.

But Julia was cut from her thoughts when she heard monotone shouting.

Lifting her head to see what was happening, Julia saw a group of men in formation running straight towards her.

Letting out a small yelp of surprise, Julia darted off of the pavement and onto the road before they trampled over her.

They looked organised and slightly scary as they jogged down the path, their feet falling in unison against the asphalt.

An older man, who lead the party, gave Julia a peculiar look before he went back to shouting at the men who were following him, looking like they were about to die from exhaustion.

That look of desperation on their faces alone was enough to make Julia want to turn around and run home. She may have run track at school but she never remembered it being that exhausting. 

She had done it for fun, but these men definitely did not look like they were having fun. 

* * *

As she was finally shown to her bed for the evening Julia wasn’t surprised when she came face to face with a bunk bed.

After all, Julia had seen a few military movies. Not that she claimed the movies got everything right but they did get the earth toned colours and thin mattresses correct.

“Supper is at nineteen-hundred hours,” A woman, who looked more like a secretary than part of the military, informed them. Her voice was filled with pity for them.