Behind the Scenes

Jay P.O.V

I raced up the steps, having shifted and dressed so fast, I was still working the shirt on as I entered and raced down the halls, using my nose and the various mourning sounds to lead me into the dining room. I looked between shoulders of those blocking the door, realizing that all children and anyone not within the warrior or diplomatic hierarchy were probably in their rooms. Those outside, after being coaxed to shift back, were probably being ushered to their rooms as well. I would have to check on that. Another worry was how many were guarding the borders; hopefully they didn't break formation from hearing the sounds; no recall howls had been sent out. Sliding between the wall of people to the dining room, my eyes took in the scene before me... And it was terrifying.

Amongst it all, I spotted David looking between his parents whilst his mother reposed in his arms. His father was across the room being worked on by our pack's physicians, and I wondered why it was that they hadn't moved him yet; what was even wrong with him? 

"Mom, please," David's voice cracked, brokenhearted, as silent tears slid along and down his mother's face to find it's eventual way to his already tear-stained shirt. "Please, let me bring you to your room."

She only leaned her face further into his shirt, hands gripped tightly to his shirt. David's face lost all emotion as he slipped his arms around his mother, lifting her up as she began to cry shrilly, squirming within his tightly held arms. Without a change, even when she clawed and hit him, he silently walked to the wall of people who slid away from his approach before engulfing the path room after. David hadn't even met my eyes, but now wasn't the time for either of us, now was the time to regain control of the situation before confusion and pain overwhelmed us.

I turned my back to face the large body of people standing there stoic as statues, "Bradford, Tillows, Galfrey!"

The three looked to me instantly, "What is the situation with the border?"

"I-I. We do not know. Sir," Bradford, the first to recover, straightened as he stepped forward, Tillows and Galfrey taking their places behind him.

"Well, you damn well better find out then!"

The three flinched back, surprised by my tone before their faces became stony. I didn't care what they thought of me right now, because I knew what I would have thought in their position. I knew what was happening behind me. We all heard it, but standing there watching was not going to help anyone, and we needed to take care of our pack, no matter the outcome...

They nodded to a few before several headed out with varying degrees of emotions; many of which I tried not to focus on.

"Averick!"

"Yes sir!," She also stepped forward, looking straight ahead angrily. The only person that could have given orders as above me, outside of David and his family, was Patricks, our Alpha's Beta. Unfortunately, he was on a mission right now given to him by his Alpha. 

"Lead a group to corral those outside and make sure everyone is shifted, then join Mager's group with checking on all the rooms and families, both locally in person and remotely by phone," I watched as two more groups assembled and left.

The sparse room held echos of the physician's administrations to their Alpha, but I didn't question the group, leaving it to them to know what to do, "The rest of you, guard the room and get anything the physicians may need. I walked out to the sound of several small, vibrating growls.

Cian's P.O.V

I angrily punched the wall instead of the face of the Etekstyvor I so badly wanted to, "No scents, no clues, no witnesses," I punched the wall several times before loosing my claws and tearing a path that lead me inches from the sweating man. Any human wouldn't be able to see the palpable fear roiling off him.