Prologue

Ephemera

                                                                           Prologue

The ocean stands still for no one. With a world completely tilted on its axis, orbiting around a massive ball of fire, the moon continues to nearly rip the waters from the sea, only to lose the eternal battle against gravity. A majestic force that doesn’t stop to weep for the ill, does not mourn the dead. And, if you’re not careful, will rob you first of your breath and then of your life, absorbing it into its own.

“You cannot love the ocean, Avis. It has no soul.”

“It has plenty of soul. Millions.”

The waters of the ocean covered more earth than that of actual land. It’s seen more horrors than people on this earth—contains twice as many. The ocean is a large graveyard, claiming the life of countless sailors, and many amore missing personas. Her waters were greedy and her soul a many.

She’s not ferocious, but gentle. And, if you’d let her, her waters will snake around your skin, caressing your every pore. Loving you better than a man ever could. When the ocean is loving, oh is she loving.

But when she’s mad—oh, is she mad.

Humans stood still for no one. With a world completely tilted on its axis, orbiting around a massive ball of fire, wars still erupt from the grounds, ripping from their chests with furious cries, impaling their mentalities with an anger so fierce they were more animal than men. Humans do not weep for the ill, they do not mourn those they have killed. Better, fear they might be next. Relieved they had yet to fall like their brethren.

Humans will rob you of your life. But, so much more, as well. They rob you of your dignity, your pride. They eat slowly at your heart and devour your passion. They take all they can.

“You cannot love humans, Avis. They have no soul.”