Chapter twenty- Happy Birthday

Wren's P.O.V

I put one green candle into the newly-iced chocolate cake. It's Skylar's first birthday, which means I'll be twenty in two months. God, that makes me feel kind of old. I take a match and light the candle. I walk into the living room, filled with everyone who lives in this damn forest.

Everybody sings happy birthday to Skylar, who sits on Jack's knee. Her big grin makes me smile even more. She giggles and stiffly claps her tiny hands. She's grown so much in twelve months. I can still remember last June when her head was no bigger than my palm.

Skylar tries to blow out the candle, but she doesn't quite get it yet. So I just blow it out for her. Everyone claps and Clockwork comes over and crouches beside me. "I remember the first time I met her." she says.

"Ah yes, when I slashed the Rake to shreds and you chopped his head off," I say.

Clockwork gets up and sits back in a dining chair. The Rake hasn't bothered us ever since that night, thank god. Apparently only immortals can kill other immortals. I can only hope that no one was able to resurrect him and that he won't disturb us again. I take a knife and cut pieces of cake for everyone.

I take a bite of my own and I find it a whole shit load better than I normally am when it comes to cooking. I watch as Skylar shoves a handful of cake in her mouth. It's only been about thirty seconds since she got it and now it's literally all over her face. I look over at Jeff's three kids who're holding themselves up on tiny legs while grasping the legs to the dinner table.

Twist has apparently been standing for a week now, when the others have been up for about two days. It's really hard to believe that he was almost dead just about a year and a half ago. He is the only one who has the same green eyes as Jeff.

I turn back to Skylar, who's managed the get half of her fucking piece of cake all over herself! Jack looks at me with his expressionless mask but I now there's most likely a look of shock on his face. I guess everyone notices and they laugh quietly.

Slender man just stares at his cake. After a few moments it disappears; so that must be how he eats when he doesn't feel like going into human form. I could probably stay in this forest until I die but I will probably never learn everything about it and all of the creatures.

***

The rest of the party went smoothly. I stand at the sink, cleaning the dishes. Skylar crawls over to me and tugs on my pant leg. I look down at her and she stares up at me with her blue-green eyes.

"Ma!" she squeals.

I dry off my hands and pick her up. She pokes my nose and I blow at her face. She scrunches up her nose and laughs loudly. For a kid with only half a soul, she can sure be happy. I kiss her tiny forehead and she hugs me.

"I love you, honey," I whisper in her ear.

Lately I've been trying to potty train her. It's worked maybe three times. I know she understands it, it's just that she's not much of a talker.

"Happy birthday," I continue.

I prop Skylar up on my shoulder and rub her back until her breathing slows and I know she's asleep. I take her to her room and place her in the crib. I shut off the light and leave the room.

I walk to the bathroom and take my hairpin out of my bangs. I turn the cold shower on, remove my clothes and step inside. The cold water feels nice in the summer heat. I wash my hair and look down at myself. It's amazing how I haven't gained a whole lot of weight from my pregnancy. It's either that or climbing trees after having Skylar just worked the fat away.