Chapter 9 - Sexified

Naomi's mom greeted us when we got back from the mall. Gwen Parker was tiny like her daughter, in her mid-thirties with long dark hair and and the same tawny skin. “Hi, girls!” she said. “You're just in time for dinner.”

Naomi and I dropped our shopping bags in her room, then went down to eat. Gwen's homemade lasagna was incredible, dripping with meat and cheese, the sauce thick, red, and oh-so-delicious. Between that and the garlic bread, I broke every dieting rule I'd set for myself.

“You sure are going to a lot of games this year,” Gwen said to her daughter. “I don't remember you being this into basketball, not since . . .”

Nate died. Nobody said it, but it was there.

“It's important to be seen,” Naomi said. “To show our school spirit.”

“You sure that's all it is? The way you two are all made up, it looks like you're going to see some cute boy.”

“We're not going to see one boy, Mom. There's a whole team, remember? Plus all the guys in the stands.”

“All right,” Gwen said, “but let me know if you get serious about any one guy in particular so we can have him over to the house. You're old enough to date, but your father and I want to meet him first.”

My best friend rolled her eyes. “Yeah, Mom, I know, but what guy wants to meet my parents before he even goes out with me?”

“A nice one.” Gwen turned to me. “What about you, Cindy? Are your parents letting you date?”

I stared at my plate. “No, they're pretty strict.”

“Well,” Gwen said, “I'm sure they have their reasons.”

We crossed the high school parking lot and entered the gym early to get good seats. Not court side, but close. The Blonde Squad was already there, Kim and Vicki and a bunch of their friends talking to some hot guys. It must get easier with practice.

Or if you look like Barbie.

The Cougars came out of the locker room. Scott was super-sexy in his red and gold uniform. I ached to hold his lean, athletic body close to mine, to hear him breathe my name.

“Cheer extra loud,” Naomi said. “You want Scott to see you.”

I did, and Scott waved at me from the court! It was magic. Except I wasn't the only one that noticed. “Evil” Megan saw it too, and the Korean girl pointed me out to Britt and Dakota. The three cheerleaders whispered to each other.

Dakota didn't waste any time. She went up to Scott, threw her arms around him and kissed him right on the lips! She flashed me a nasty smirk. Scott didn't notice. He ran back to join the team.

My hands curled into fists, hate bubbling up. “What the eff was that?”

Naomi shrugged. “Dakota kisses Scott before every game for luck. You know that.”

“Yeah, but not like that!”

“Relax,” Naomi said. “She's trying to make you jealous.”

I fought the overwhelming urge to run over and punch Dakota, to strangle the life out of her. Wow. That was so not like me. I never got in fights, never had violent thoughts . . .

I focused on the game. We were losing again. The next time Scott got the ball, I jumped up and yelled, “Come on, Scott! You can do it!”

And he did! He made this impossible three-point shot and the game was tied. The crowd went wild. The Wolves' defense crumbled. Scott scored seventeen more points, including another three-pointer. We won, 76-65.

As Scott was leaving the court, sweaty and victorious, he stopped to talk to Ted Timmons, his best friend and the team captain. Ted was the richest kid in school, which of course made him the most popular. Despite his rep for being a player, it didn't stop most of the girls from wanting him. Ted was handsome, but in a different way than Scott. His auburn hair was always perfectly styled in that fake-messy way that looked effortless.

Scott pointed me out and waved. Ted said something back, and they both laughed as they walked off the court. I hoped they weren't laughing at me.

Later that night, Naomi and I snuck a bottle of vodka from her mom's liquor cabinet to celebrate. We mixed it with fruit punch, got buzzed, then spent a couple hours playing with my hair and makeup.After all, if I looked good enough on the outside, maybe Scott would notice I wasn't so bad on the inside.

“That's it,” Naomi said. “I think we've got it.”

I studied myself in the mirror, turning this way and that in the black stretch minidress Naomi had bought for me. Was it enough?

“Relax,” Naomi said. “Scott will take one look and instantly fall in love. He'll say, 'Oh my, you're too beautiful for words'! and just be all . . .” She exaggerated falling over backwards with one hand draped across her forehead, fake-fainting like in one of those old movies. She fluttered her eyelashes and sighed dramatically.

We both had a good laugh. And another drink.

“My turn,” Naomi said. “I need some practice looking hot too.”

We did her reddish-brown curls in an updo and set off her light brown eyes with some olive green shadow. Her eyes really popped, the gold flecks standing out like glitter.

“You look totally sexified.”

Naomi beamed, admiring herself in the mirror. “You know who else is looking good?”

“Um, Scott?” I hiccuped and giggled.

“You're drunk,” she chided. “And no, I meant Ted Timmons.”

“What?” It took a couple of seconds to register, then the words couldn't come fast enough. “Oh my God! Seriously? You're crushing on Ted? He's a player!”

Naomi pouted. “Maybe he just needs the right woman.”

“And you're it?”

“Of course! Wouldn't it be perfect if Ted was my boyfriend? Together with you and Scott, we would rock this flipping school!”

I knew better than to try and talk my friend out of it. We laughed and drank, imagining all the awesome things that would happen when we were popular: friends, parties, even the best seats in the cafeteria. It would all be ours.

Still, I couldn't help but worry what Scott might be doing tonight at Ted's poker party. I almost him called a hundred times, but Naomi wouldn't let me.

“Trust me, Cindy. Everything's gonna be fine. Just don't come on too strong, and whatever you do, don't go too far, too fast.”

“I won't,” I said. “I'm not a slut.” But deep inside, I wasn't so sure.

For more about the Author, visit www.JacksonDeanChase.com

© 2014 Jackson Dean Chase. All Rights Reserved.