Go to Paris with William.

I opened my eyes and turned. “I thank you for your kindness to me, Silk. The possibility that I might one day have a family — I never dared to even dream it.”

A smile teased at his lips, and I hurried on before he could misunderstand. “But my heart is divided. I’ve known William all my life. Without him, I would not exist.”

Silk shook his mop of ribbons, and watching them move, I came to understand his name. “It doesn’t mean you owe him your life.” Silk shot William a resentful glance, but I didn’t dare look in William’s direction. Not yet.

“That’s true,” I agreed. “But I love him. I have always loved him. I ran from him and he came for me, even as I am.” I waved my hand over my bit-and-bob form. “How can I justify refusing him?”

Silk nodded slowly, and he released my hand. “I would like to have known you. Perhaps we shall meet again.”

“Perhaps we shall. Until then, be well. Stay ahead of the Inquisitor.”

His lips crooked up in a lopsided grin. “If they catch up with Gran, they’ll get more than they bargained for.” He reached up and touched my face. “You’ll always have a home with us. Hephaesta’s children can always find her.”

“Thank you,” I whispered, holding his button-eyed gaze. Allowing myself a moment to mourn what might have been.

Dropping his hand, he headed back toward the woods. A parade of clockwork creatures was already marching across the meadow.

“You love me?”

I could hear the smile in William’s voice, but I couldn’t make myself turn to see it on his face.

“Well.”

He caught me in his arms, pulling me into his chest.

“You’re sure about this,” I whispered.

“We’ll take the pedal-lark to the train station,” he said. “Even just the two of us, we should be able to make it that far. We’ll have to go to Old London for an airship to Paris. It will be risky, but I think if we — ”

“William.” I drew back to look at him. “You’re sure about this?”

He bent closer to me, pressing his soft, warm lips against my hard, cold ones. Then he touched his forehead to mine. “I’ve waited my whole life for you.”

My heart missed a tick — maybe two — and a slow grin spread over his face. “I’ve never been to Paris,” he said. “Think what an adventure we’ll have!”

I smiled. “Clockwork gargoyles.”

“That’s the spirit.” He took my hand and tugged me toward his flying machine.

I went up first, and as I waited for him, I reached into my pocket for the tiny key. I touched it to my lips and then pressed it against my chest, forgetting the living machine embedded there. As the key clinked against it, I felt a rush of warmth in my chest that surged out to engulf the rest of my body. Gasping, I grasped the handlebars of the bicycle, fingers tingling.

“Ready?” asked William, joining me. As his eyes met mine, his jaw fell open. His hands came to my face, and he ducked his head to steal another kiss. But this time his lips lingered, moving like velvet against mine while his hands slipped into my hair.

As he drew back, I caught a glimpse of my hands on the bicycle bars. The wood and wires had transformed into flesh.

THE END

If you enjoyed this "pick your path" romance, you can read the alternate choices and branches on www.SilkWords.com. Find out what happens when Copper chooses to give William the key ... Read a description of Copper's human form ... Have tea with William's father and mother ... Find out what happens when she joins Silk ...

Also available as an eBook on Amazon!