Introduction

AN: I'm just including this "chapter" to help explain the story a bit and keep the characters (somewhat) clear.

Ferenc Karnstein: Mircalla's violent and arrogant father

Jusztina Karnstein: Mircalla's mother, slightly more levelheaded than her husband

Hans: Mircalla's almost-father-in-law. Bumbling, but well-meant.

Cornelius: The man Mircalla was supposed to marry before she became a vampire. Goodhearted, but misguided.

Marcia: The oldest child, she is 15 when Mircalla is born. Likewise, she is very mature and dutiful, but has a fatal flaw of caring too deeply for the people left in her charge.

Mary: The second sister, although she died as a child, long before Mircalla was born.

Matilda: The second oldest surviving sister, she is 13 when Mircalla is born. She is not quite as dutiful as Marcia and although she is smart, she does not hold fast to anything.

Martha: Another sister who died in early childhood.

Maria: She is 10 when Mircalla is born and she very much takes after their father.

Mildred: Another sister who died in early childhood. Twin to Miriam.

Miriam: Another sister who died in early childhood. Twin to Mildred.

Margreta: She is 6 when Mircalla is born. The nondescript middle child of the family, she later proves to be an excellent leader and caretaker.

Maximiliana: She is 5 when Mircalla is born. She is the "jock" child of the family.

Magdalena: She is 3 when Mircalla is born. She is the "runt of the litter" and everyone's favorite, anxious little punching bag.

Margherita: Another sister who died in early childhood.

Mircalla: Carmilla

AN: This is a prequel to the 1872 novella. Be forewarned that things may seem OOC and you may not be happy with how things were written out. I accept constructive criticism, but again, bear in mind that this is a speculative prequel fic, not necessarily something that is supposed to be completely accurate or possible.

Also, there are no queer themes in the story because, to me, Carmilla's life before becoming a vampire would've been very straightlaced (pun intended).