11. The Night

Garrett

I won't sleep. I once stayed awake for forty hours, and I was just fine. I mean, I felt like shit, but I functioned. Falling asleep next to your enemy would be a stupid thing to do. I remember the pen in Kano's throat. Julian's slight build and gentle looks won't fool me.

I think about home, about my friends. About Angie. About tomorrow. Anything to pass the time. I steal a glance at my watch—it's been half an hour. Going to be a long night.

Beside me, Julian stirs slightly. I tense and prepare for his next move. But he just murmurs something in his sleep, turns to his other side, and puts his arm around me.

I wait, but nothing else happens. He just turned over in his sleep. I look down at his hand hanging limply over me. His thin wrist is half the width of mine. He won't be able to strangle me or anything. And if he decides to go for the rifle, he's in for a big surprise.

"Hey," I whisper. "Go back to your quarters."

No reply. I consider rolling him back to his side, but that would wake him up, and, frankly, I prefer him asleep. Besides, it's warmer like this. I can imagine his disgust if he wakes up to find himself hugging me. I smile at the thought.

His breathing is quiet and steady. Lulling. But that's okay, I won't fall asleep as long as I don't intend to.

I won't fall asleep.

I open my eyes with a start. It's not completely dark anymore. Grayish light trickles into the room through the little cracks and holes along the line where the walls meet the roof. I grab for my rifle, but it's not there. I sit up and look around.

Julian is sitting on the floor a few steps away from me. The rifle rests on his lap. The moment I move, he stands up and points it in my direction—not as if he intends to shoot right away, more like a warning. He's still wearing my jacket, and his boots.

"Morning," he says, his voice rusty. He clears his throat. "Slept well?"

"You're a fool," I say.

"Oh, and I was being nice to you." He cocks his head to one side.

I get up to my feet. "You know you won't survive here without me."

"It rings true," he says. "That's why you'll help me get to my base. In exchange, I will ensure you won't be hurt."

"Yeah, right."

He raises one eyebrow. "Why wouldn't you believe me? As much as it pains me to admit it, you did save my life yesterday. It's only reasonable that I should pay you back by protecting yours."

"By holding me at a gunpoint?" I make a step in his direction.

He steps back. "Stay where you are."

I smile and make another step.

"I mean it," he says.

"Shoot me if you mean it." I move again.

"Oh," he says. "Looks like you're not afraid of the rifle."

"Looks like I'm not."

He seems puzzled for a moment. Then, to my surprise, a wide smile spreads across his face, and he drops the rifle to the ground.

"Then, maybe, you're afraid of this?" he says, producing my other gun from the folds of the jacket and pointing it at me.

My hands reach instinctively for my vest but stop half way. No need to check. He's got the gun.

"You pickpocket," I spit.

"Did you really think me such a simpleton as to buy into your rifle trick?" he says. "I heard you unload it while I was taking my luxury bath yesterday." He nods at the cistern. "Saw the other gun when you were taking off your jacket." He shrugs. "Will you cooperate now?"

I just glare at him.

"Come on," he says. "You'll just lead the way. If you fall into the dirt, I'll help you out. Not hard at all. And then maybe I'll make sure your fellow friends will not be executed. The other option is you die here and now, how is that better?"

I shake my head, still unable to speak. He looks me over.

"And I want your pants," he says after a pause. "It's damn cold. Mine have turned to rags."

"You would have turned to rags yourself if I didn't make you take that bath last night."

"And I appreciate that." He bows his head. "Still, I want your pants."

"No."

He frowns. "Seriously? You'd risk your life for a pair of pants?"

"You won't shoot me over a pair of pants," I say distractedly, as a new idea starts forming in my mind. "You're not that stupid."

There's a momentary confusion in his eyes, then he waves me away with the gun. "Oh, never mind, just keep them. Let's get going?"

"Guess I have no choice."

He smiles. "What a surprising willingness to cooperate."

I force a smile, too. I'll surprise you big time, you son of a bitch. You just wait and see.

* If you enjoy this story, please vote/comment!/follow ! Thank you! *