Chapter IV - Queen Normal

My heart is pounding hard in my chest as I pace the floor of my tiny bedroom. I'm sure if there were any werewolves around, they would be able to hear it. Right now I assume all of the occupants of the pack house is at the burning moon gathering.

I have most of my stuff already packed in an old suitcase that belonged to my Nana. I don't have a lot, mostly my clothing, old pictures, a few books, and a couple little things I picked from Nana's old house for keepsakes. I fill up my backpack with everything else, like the disposable cellphone Jorden gave me, money, important documents, toiletries, a book for the bus ride, a change of clothing and oh, my swear jar and Oliver. Can't leave without my swear jar and Oliver.

Jorden told me that he'll come to my room tonight to take my all my stuff to his car. He will then drive his car past the border inspection post where they don't usually check for anything other than the occupants of the car. I have to make my way on foot to where Jorden will be waiting just outside the border about a mile and a half from here. He is driving me to a little bus station in the next town over where nobody will recognize me.

Jorden promised me that he'd be here at 9 pm. It's already 9.15 and I'm getting worried. What if they found out what we're planning to do?

Nervously, I begin to tug and wrap my fingers around my braided hair. I have my jeans and a pair of sneakers on. It's a bit chilly tonight, so I've pulled on a dark grey sweater that used to belong to my Nana over my dark blue t-shirt. Her sweater will also be able to cover my scent a little when I'm in Jorden's car. Nana's faint but familiar scent helps to calm me a bit. I still jump when I hear a soft knock on my door.

I think my eyes bugged out as soon as I see Jorden at my door with Trey standing next to him. It's bad enough that I have Jorden involved, I don't want Trey to be sucked into this as well. God knows what they'll do to us if we get caught.

"Change of plans," says Jorden. "I needed him to cover for me but he wants to come with us. Don't waste time arguing with him. He's just as stubborn as you." Without waiting for my response, Jorden grabs my suitcase while Trey hoists my backpack onto his shoulder. Both of them look wary and pensive.

Jorden goes first, carrying my suitcase with him. Trey turns to look at me. His eyes roam over my face for a while. "Quincy, I ---" he says. I look up at him expectantly but then he shakes his head and closes his mouth.

Jorden and Trey have been friends forever. A little over a year ago, Trey confessed his feelings for me and we started dating. He was my first kiss. He was my first everything...until he found his mate, Èmilie, five months ago.

I knew that would happen so I was prepared. It still hurt, I can't lie, but I'm happy for him. At least his mate, Èmilie is a nice girl. It's not like we're friends or anything, but she's not one of those girls who bully me. She mainly stays away and keeps things to herself. Trey is a nice guy and I believe he truly did care for me before he met his mate. He deserves a good mate and to be happy.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispers finally before he too disappears with my backpack down the dark hallway.

After ten minutes, and when I think they're off, I walk out of my bedroom. The whole house is dimly lit and eerily quiet. I try to walk casually so as not to arouse suspicion if anybody saw me. My heart refused to calm down even after I make it outside the pack house without encountering anyone. It seems that everyone is at the gathering. The former Luna was well loved.

It's dark and windy outside. The moon is half covered by black heavy clouds. I start towards the driveway but then I change course when I see some movements not too far away. Patrolmen on duty. I start jogging towards the clearing where the burning moon gathering is being held.