Remus and the Idea

Remus was the brain.

The machine.

The mastermind.

Well, that was how the marauders viewed him.

"Guys, I've had an idea." He would state. pulling a scruffy notebook out of his even messier bag, and flicking through countless lists and scribbles until he came across what he was looking for.

The other three boys jumped on his bed, each leaning in closely to see what Remus had come up with this time.

The book opened onto a very messily drawn sketch of the castle, from different angles. It could hardly be made out as it was covered with annotations. The other boys' eyes flitted across the page, occasionally stopping at the odd word they could make out.

James, 11:53 pm.

Peter, 12:02 am.

First: The Great Hall.

Colovaria Maxima.

"Oh, Remus. Have I ever told you how much I like you?" Sirius said, a large grin on his face.

***

The boys awoke to a large commotion down in the common room. They all looked at each other with knowing smiles, from realising that their plan had indeed worked.

They hurried to get their clothes on and rushed down to the common room, which they had left alone, as there was no need for their prank to extend there.

"What's all the noise about?" Remus heard Lily ask.

"Haven't you been outside the dorm this morning? The entire castle has been turned red!" Someone exclaimed loudly.

At this, every single Gryffindor in the common room tried to rush through the portrait hole at once, and as planned and promised, they noticed that the entire castle was red. The walls, the floors, the tables, even the candles hanging from the ceiling in the great hall. Every inch of the castle sporting some Gryffindor pride.

"Move out of the way! Coming through!" McGonagall could be heard shouting from the other end of the corridor.

Her eyes locked in on the four boys. She knew it was them, but she had no proof. And truth be told she actually found it rather funny.

Remus's eyes scanned the great hall until they landed on Freya. Her eyes were crinkled from the smile which consumed her face. He was glad that something he had done had made her happy. Her eyes locked with his, and she gave him a nod. Did she know? Would she tell?

Later that evening, Remus headed to the library. He could see Freya sitting in the corner consumed in a book.

He took a deep breath, summoning up a little courage before heading over to her.

"Hey, Freya." He said, grabbing a book off the shelf opposite her and sitting down.

"Remus!" She exclaimed, her eyes lighting up.

"Was it your idea? It was genius!" She asked, leaning closer to him, her words coming out almost in a whisper.

"A magician never tells." He said, giving her a knowing smile.

"Well... I thought it was pretty amazing." She stated, her eyes returning to her book.

Remus watched as her eyes darted from word to word, the way that her bottom lip was caught between her teeth in concentration, and how her hair was tucked behind her ear, out of the way of the pages.

"Hey, Umm... Freya?" Remus asked, staring down at the pages of his own book.

"Mhmm." She mumbled, concentration still on her book.

"Are you going to Hogsmeade this weekend?" He asked.

There was silence. He looked up and she was smiling at him.

"Is this the part where you ask me out?" She asked with a smirk.

It wasn't an evil smirk, this was a different kind. The good kind.

"Maybe." Remus said, ripping bits of skin from the cuticles around his nails in nervousness.

"I'd love to."

***

Remus opened the door to his dorm, and three pairs of eyes snapped to him instantly.

"So... What did she say?" Asked James.

"What do you mean?" Remus asked in confusion.

"Come on Remus, we know you too well. Don't pretend." Sirius smiled.

"Well... All I'm saying is you're going to Hogsmeade without me on Saturday, and James, don't you dream of wearing your coat and spying on us!" Remus said, pointing a finger at James.

"Me? I'd never dream of it." He responded with fake innocence.

Remus lay awake that night, playing out scenarios in his head, too excited to sleep, his head full of thoughts of Freya.

He looked out of the window next to his bed at the nearly-full orb in the sky. 

If only Freya knew.