Prologue: Breena

As Breena sat on the garden wall, sipping her tea and watching the colors of the new day ignite on the horizon, she had no way of knowing that this would be the day that she died

It was a day just like any other day, following the same rhythms and patterns. Breakfast, then lunch; she cleaned the kitchen and swept the floors. And since she was as of yet completely unaware of her impending demise, when the sun began to set, marking the end of another ordinary day filled with ordinary tasks, she was content with its mediocrity and the safety that being average provided.

The sky had already turned dark when Breena finally set down her quill. She stood carefully, her bones cracking in protest. The aether was noticeably thinner on the island, and most days, it left her feeling tired.

Shaking out her braid, she took a moment to survey the meager cottage. The scuffed wood floors and whitewashed walls were a far cry from the luxury of her youth, but she had managed to make the space comfortable. The rugs may have been threadbare, but they warded off the chill of the morning, and the quilts on the beds, though secondhand, were soft from age.

The little garden beyond the open window was just beginning to bloom, and sprays of snowdrops and irises blanketed the ground outside. In this small, isolated town on the western coast of the island of Tempris, a cottage with its own garden was a rarity. Most of the villages in the region, though not lacking for space, were packed tightly together. The nights could be dangerous, especially when the gates were charging.

A peal of laughter rang out, and Breena smiled, stepping over to the window to observe the dynamic force of kinetic energy that was her daughter. A man with auburn hair and a plain canvas coat was trying to herd the rebellious child inside, but the little bundle of scraped knees and golden curls was having none of it. She kept darting in between his outstretched arms, disappearing and reappearing at will. First, in front of him, her tongue sticking out in a playful taunt, then behind him with a barely suppressed giggle.

Breena frowned. Oh dear.

It seemed Cori's magic was progressing more quickly than they expected—which meant that even more of the girl's aether would need to be locked away.

A familiar pang of guilt fluttered in her chest. Breena hated to do it, even if it was necessary. Until they could smuggle the girl through the Aion Gate and into the mortal cities, they needed to stay hidden, and taking away Cori's magic was a small price to pay.

The man still hadn't managed to capture the elusive child, so Breena called out in a forceful tone, "Corinna! It's time to come inside."

Her six-year-old daughter's silvery gray eyes searched for the source of the reproach, and a mournful pout blossomed across the girl's face when she saw her mother's stern expression. Surrendering, Cori allowed herself to be escorted inside the cottage. Breena was still amazed at how much her daughter was starting to resemble her. When the girl was older, they might very well be twins.