PART FOUR: THE VEIL OF THE DARK

"I move a strike."

My eyes grew bigger.

Moving a strike is taking all the things I said that could help my friend out of records, thus I, as a witness, will no longer be available to help him.

"I'm not done yet," he said, smiling. "You concluded the accused cannot do harm and he had no thoughts of killing his dad, am I right?"

"Y-Yes," I said, shaking, panicking.

"Then let's take a look at these photos."

What I saw uttered me speechless.

"It's a comic book made by the accused. It's about a son who killed his dad. He stabbed him, multiple times in the chest. Are you aware of the cause of death of the victim?"

"N-No..."

"He got stabbed in the chest, by a knife, multiple times. It was a massive hemorrhage, the stabs directly hit his organs... similar to the comic book your friend drew."

There's a noise.

"The accused has shown aggressive behavior through arts, Your Honor. He didn't execute it physically but mentally, he did. He may not be vocal about it but through arts, he had planned to kill and when he got triggered, he did the crime, just like in the comic strip he made. Thus, the case is not self-defense, not a justifiable homicide either, but a murder."

He then smiled. "The prosecution rests its case."

Just by that, I found my credibility as a witness invalid. All the things and points they yielded from me were all now invalid in the court.

Great.

It had been weeks since that happened. Two more trials occurred after that. The second was a really chaotic trial. We were like buried six feet below the ground. They showed evidence we didn't expect and I admit, the defense was almost knocked out. They showed the knife used in the crime and found out there was only one fingerprint on it and it was Traise's fingerprint. The forensic found a really detailed fingerprint which allowed them to identify what hand was used in a crime; a left hand.

The second evidence was testimonies which were all synchronized as if they were scripted but seemed factual. From that view, the court can decide that the case was guilty. In the third trial, we made it. We were able to defend him. I don't know how we did, but the case seemed equal now. And tomorrow is the last trial, and the decision as well if he's guilty or not.

"Good thing you came," the man in his formal attire said, smiling. "I thought you won't."

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want, Prosecutor Tyler Scott?"

He's the prosecutor of the other side. Yes, the one who moved a strike against me. But no, we're not close. It's just that, I found out he was dad's student in college.

"Have you heard the news? The death penalty got signed."

Seemed like my heart suddenly went dead.

"It means if he's proven guilty tomorrow, he'll be the first receiver of it," he said bitterly.

"And you'll just take it?" I asked, anger in my voice. "I know you're against Death Penalty. So why push someone onto it?"

He smirked. "What do you want me to do? Drop the case? I can't."

"Do you think he's guilty?" I asked.

He smiled. "At first I was curious in the case that's why I took it kahit controversial. Along with the process, I don't know. He seemed like he can't do it, but it also seemed like he can. Besides, it's my duty to prosecute him. Guilty or not, I have to prove he commits the crime. That's what I'm paid for. That's what I pledged for."