Prologue

Prologue

The sun sizzled high in the sky and heated the sandstone floor to uncomfortable temperatures, making me ache for actual shoes rather than the tats and rags that I wore on my feet. Not a single cloud passed to give any respite, so I lurked in the shadows to escape the uncomfortable heat and waited for my mark to appear.

He had looked like an easy victim, a small frail older gentleman with kind eyes, almost as brown as an oak tree, and a smile that was full of mischief. As though my thoughts summoned him, he materialized and walked through the market with his shuffling gait, weaving between the crowds, talking to shop owners, and negotiating deals for food and necessities.

I'd been watching him for weeks. From what I saw, he was a compassionate old man. He regularly gave coppers to homeless children when he passed them, occasionally even giving out food like loaves of bread and apples. Sadly, I wasn't one of the lucky few who received his generosity. My caution and wariness of strangers kept me away.

But I had gotten to the point where I was desperate. It had been six days since I had any food, and my stomach was churning with only my stomach acid to keep it full. I didn't want to steal, but I couldn't stand the bone-deep hunger anymore.

I kept a distance, making sure to stay out of sight from the bustling crowd, but reached within myself to that spark that made me different from every other orphan on the street.

I allowed the small rush of power to tingle into my features. I felt my skin ripple as I darted between shadows.

Long blonde, thick hair, snub-nose, and hazel eyes turned to a copper corkscrewed bob, white freckled face with large grey eyes, and a full mouth. I trailed a distance away from him, trying to act natural, as though I was on a stroll. I slipped past an animated mass of people haggling with a meat monger, their roaring offers to the merchant getting louder and louder.

I continued stalking my mark, his bobbing head getting lost in the swarm, when I realised the throng of people offered a better opportunity.

Slowing in my pursuit, I casually grazed against a patron, swiftly slipping a hand into their pocket and drawing a few coins. Weaving my way to the other side of the crowd, I smiled as the man continued haggling, unaware of the small theft. Perfect.

Pushing my luck, I snuck up to another unsuspecting customer, a straight-spined female. Making sure not to draw her attention, I reached up into her bag. Carefully, I pulled back the lid, spying a purse within. I quickly assessed the woman, making sure her attention was diverted, and palmed the small bag full of money, turning to make my escape.

Only to run straight into a guard. His giant hands grabbed my small, fragile arms in a painful grip. Looking up in shock, I gasped. I had never been caught in all my years on the streets, nor my eleven years of existence. I felt my face change and expose my natural features as I was frozen in horror, the vivid turquoise colour of eyes screaming to all what I was.

The guard's deep-set indigo eyes lit up at the sight. I felt a small zap of his powers zing through me.

No, he's one of the testing soldiers! I squirmed in his hold as the realisation hit me.

Anger turned to shocked glee as he looked me over and he breathed out, "Cerulean."

I struggled against him, pulling with all my might against his grip. "No! Let me go!"

He yanked me towards him. "No testing needed for you, Illusionist," he remarked, dragging me behind him. "Quite powerful too. You'll be a great help to the war effort."