Chapter XVII

Chapter 17

A m a n d a (Linda)

Silence. The only thing I'm greeted with.

My heart starts to race faster than before as I glance at the seconds ticking by. 

Why is no one saying anything? Did they hear me? Memories and thoughts from years back surface once again. Clouding my mind and taking over. No, not again. They care, I know they do. But the silence only fuels those negative thoughts. 

My hand reaches to touch the door handle and escape, ready to leave this mess behind, and suddenly I hear it. A gasp. So low yet loud at the same time. I can't tell from who, but it was there. Loud enough for my ears to hear and the thoughts to slowly die out and disappear.

I turn back to the console only to notice Brenda's hand on my arm. Ready to stop me no doubt.

"L...Lin.Linda?" My hand drops. I've heard that voice so many times yet now its more broken, different from when I talked to him on the sidewalk. My heart breaks at the sound.  

"Hi, Luke."

Brenda slowly drops her hand from my arm and turns her gaze to our surrounding before training her eyes to her lap. 

"Linda... is it really you?" asks Jessica.

I lean into the seat and unknowing nod. "Yes, yes it's me" I answer, wiping a tear that managed to roll down my cheek.

"You're actually on the other line? You're actually talking to us." Someone mutters. I am aren't I?

"Linda, I know you might not know or remember me bu-"

"I know who you are Derek, it's nice to hear from you." I interrupt, a smile tugging on my lips despite the tears wanting to spill. Its crazy how I've spoken to them so many times - yesterday for crying out loud, but now I can't help it . Tears for my messed up life- for this small gift of simply being me to my friends. 

"Linda, I'm sorry I should of-"

I shake my head. "Luke stop. I know what you're about to say, so stop. None of this is your fault or anyone one of you for that matter. No one saw this coming- not me, not Jake, not my family-" 

"But you didn't kill him. You shouldn't be there! I know you didn't. We know you didn't" Shouts Alexander in anger- not at me- but this whole mess. 

"I know, but you also know it was my only choice-"

"I know that but it doesn't mean we are happy with that one choice you were given."

"Guys enough, I didn't plan for this. Not today." Brenda finally specks now looking at me making sure I'm okay.

"Shes right. We need to calm down. We're finally talking to her. It's her birthday come on please. Enough," says Jessica, her voice to laced with sadness and desperation.

There's a moment of silence before they begin to sing, including Brenda who takes my hand and joins in. And despite seconds ago, I can't help but laugh and blush.

"How you've guys been?" I ask once they're done.

"Bad, it's not the same without you," answers Sarah, who's been quiet in the beginning but listening throughout the whole thing.

"I just want you guys to know that I'm here. I'll always be with you even if it doesn't look like it." Literally "It will be over soon..."  Hopefully.

"You know there's this girl that reminds us of you, but no one can replace you," states Jessica .

"oh yeah, who?"

"Her names, Amanda and someone over here is trying to make a move on her."

"Or rather you mean two people."

I hear a scoff and an ouch from none other than Alex for his comment

"Careful they are both here after-all." giggles Sarah.

Brenda shakes her head while I sink further into my chair. 

"No, I am not. I'm just- you know protective. Linda my heart will always belong to you. You know that right." I can hear the playfulness in his voice but also the seriousness, which slightly worries me. 

"Derek, you okay?" 

Its quiet before he responds."Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just happy to finally hear her voice that's all. Happy Birthday Linda, We miss you a lot, I miss you.

____________

"You didn't have to do all that," I say as we enter the house.

"I had to, and I'm glad I did," Brenda says placing the keys on the coffee table. "Besides you need it, they needed it. You know like old times."

"Do you think they'll be okay" Sure after Derek's declaration we talked a bit more, but I did notice that both Luke and Derek were slightly quieter than usual that is when they weren't talking to me.

She shakes her head. "I'm sure Luke said that to annoy Derek, which kinda worked I guess. but nothing will change the happiness they felt upon hearing you."

I nod. "I just hope they don't go at each others necks or into another fight."

"They won't, don't worry."

"Girls?" Mrs. White walks out the kitchen holding a small gift bag in her hand while the other holds a coffee mug.

"I got one more gift for you," she says extending her arm out to me.

"Mrs. White-"

"Rebecca"

"Rebecca, you didn't have to. With everything you guys have done is more than enough." She shakes her head "Nonsense, besides you need this."

I take the gift and open it . 

"In case you ever need anything, and we're not around. I already added our contacts." I nod. "Thank you."

"Well goodnight girls, don't want to keep your father waiting." She says giving us a wink.

"Eww, mom." Brenda whines, grimacing while I duck and try to hide my discomfort.

We quickly exchange our good nights- each of us heading to our separate rooms. The second I step into mine and shut the door gently behind me.  My eyes land on my black sweeter discarded on the chair beside my bookbag. My good mood slightly shifting. I pick it up, and place my hand into the pocket- pulling out a folded piece of notebook paper.

Stay away.

I clench the sheet and place it back into the pocket. It's best if I keep this to myself for now at least. I don't want Brenda worrying more than she is already. Either way, I have a pretty good idea of who did this.

----------

I wake up in the middle of the night, glancing around my room which is illuminated little by the street lights outside. I slowly each over and turn on the lamp on my nightstand, yet my room is  empty. My brows narrow and my eyes suddenly wander to the window which sends a shiver through my body as I get off the bed and head to it. I can't explain the feeling but the urge to look outside is strong.  So strong that I peck through the cracks of the two curtains and make out a car parked on the other side of the road.

The lights are off, windows tinted, and no one seems to be inside. I spread the curtains more apart to get a better view and when I do the car suddenly  comes to life and speed out the road as if it were never there.