s i x t e e n

As the days passed, rushing by in a blur, the coronation grew closer and closer and the entire palace grew busier and more frantic.

Meredith worked on her dress each night, and was pleased with how it was coming along. It was floor length, with an empire waste and plenty of ruffles. Now that she had the chance to dress up, and Isabella was helping her, she was going to spoil herself with the most beautiful dress she could make, the dress she had dreamed about making someday. Isabella told her that she would 'look like a princess'.

She noticed that, here lately, Isabella had been disappearing out of doors more and more lately. She felt sorry for her friend. The only place Therese would not follow her was out of doors, as she complained that her hay fever began to act up.

Therese, meanwhile, had broken the news that Isabella was going to meet and spend time with Lord Andrew during the coronation ball, but she would be able to refuse the match if it was not agreeable to her. She said this with much hesitation, beginning to wish she had not agreed to Antony's request. Remember the Lady Adelaide, she constantly reminded herself.

Isabella, knowing that even though it was her choice, her mother would continue to hound her and to tell her all the benefits of marrying Lord Andrew, put on her cloak and sneaked out the back door yet again to escape to her only solitude.

Antony spent more and more time in his study, being called upon by advisors, generals of the army, and lawmakers about even the smallest thing concerning his coronation and the laws and edicts he was set to put into place immediately afterwards. His least favorite visitor was the royal portrait painter, who, after the coronation, would need to paint a new portrait of Antony for the Royal Family's portrait gallery. There were fittings for dress uniforms, opinions asked on what music should be played at the coronation ball –Antony sent them to consult Olivya-, and decorators asking what colors he preferred for the Royal Dining Room.

The day drew nearer and nearer, and all of Alacia seemed to hold its breath.

Meredith finished the main stitching for her dress and had only to add the bow, which Isabella wanted to help her with. Therese sent a reminder to the Lord Andrew and the Lady Adelaide to make sure both her chosen ones were coming. Isabella continued to avoid her mother, finding solace in talking to Meredith or escaping the palace whenever her mother searched for her. Antony finally grew too overwhelmed and ordered all the advisors to leave his study, only to fall asleep at his desk.

The day before the coronation arrived faster than anyone expected.

As most of the guests were already at the castle, Antony found it easier to remain in his study, or his library, and simply avoid them all

As most of the guests were already at the castle, Antony found it easier to remain in his study, or his library, and simply avoid them all. He knew that Therese had been overjoyed the day before at the arrival of the Lady Adelaide, but he had kept to his rooms, annoying his aunt, he knew, but not wishing to have a confrontation until it was completely necessary. Besides...Therese would be appeased soon enough; the ball was tomorrow.