47

"Pipe down vampire," Emily said. "She changed back just before she passed out. She'll be fine."

Emily's frank reasoning cut through everybody else's prejudice. The tension in the room dialled down as the crowd acknowledged the truth of her words.

That seemed like a cue. I opened my eyes and sat up. As I took in the room, my gaze met wary eyes everywhere I looked.

Anne darted glances my way as though she couldn't decide whether to approach or retreat.

So much for family loyalty.

Emily stood with her, mouth stretched into a wide smirk.

My heart warmed when I realised it was supposed to be reassuring. Emily's eyes were bright, encouraging, there was no fear there.

An older woman sat at one of the tables, the second waitress from the other evening. She looked exhausted, but her rich blue life-force told me that her magic was strong. Particles of blue drifted towards her from the other coven members, joining with her life force, boosting her power.

I was betting this was Hazel, restaurant owner and coven leader. 

A man of a similar age fussed around her as she gently batted him away. When her eyes met mine, her body stiffened.

Her friend turned slowly to meet my eyes. His expression turned to one of unaccountable hatred. Little crimson veins sizzled round the rich blue of his life-force. There was something different about that guy, something that I'd seen before.

I looked away quickly, shocked by his animosity, but more so by his life-force. The girl from my dream had the crimson veins too. And Alice Gray had been scared of her.

A cough from across the room drew my attention. Stephen, leaning against the back wall, geeky glasses perched on his nose. His eyes were the ringed with dark circles as though he hadn't slept for days, his clothes dirty and crumpled.

When he saw me notice him, he peered over the top of his frames. A tiny smile and an infinitesimal shake of the head told me to be cautious.

I'd already got that.

Finally my gaze landed on Thomas, stood at my side like a sentry.

Oddly afraid to meet his eyes, I glanced down. His expensive suit was crumpled, and his white shirt had suspicious looking red stains down the front.

Uncomfortable prickles of shame over suspecting him brought a hot blush to my cheeks. There was no way that I was going to admit that.

Ever.

I fidgeted with the skirt of my silvery-blue dress. I was so not in the mood for his domineering bullshit. Steeling myself for the reprimand I knew was coming, I raised my eyes.

Pride shone over me, warming me, filling me with confidence. And there was something else in the depths of his deep brown gaze, something hot that travelled deep into my belly.

"Magnificent," he said.

"Um, thanks, I think."

I struggled to my feet, now that it appeared that the people who had brought me back from Jonathan's madness were not going to destroy me imminently.

Until this moment, the best course of action had been to stay down. Less threatening that way. But as my weak legs shook under me, I knew that I was no threat to anybody. The power was gone.

Maybe it was over.

The beautiful tree mosaic on the floor of the restaurant was directly beneath me. Its colours were vibrant, flickering and glowing. A silver band stood bright around its circumference.

I hadn't noticed that before.

The silver enclosed the image. The animals within shimmered with brightness, giving the impression of joyous movement. Life in all its variety. A true Tree of Life, my family's emblem, the source of its power.

"Yes, my girl," said Hazel, as though I'd been speaking aloud. "That is how it should be. And then you, to enrich and bring the final balance."

"What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled by her enigmatic statement.

"Why, the silver of course," she said, as though that part were obvious. "Your father wanted to keep it separate, to keep himself separate. The silver is the final part, you see. More powerful on its own, but more meaningful together with us. Jonathan could never understand that. And then you came along. It was no longer his alone to keep. You enrich us all."

"I don't see how," I said confused. "It's all gone, I can't feel it anymore. The magic."

"No, the words transferred it to the coven. I know you felt its intent, I sensed you ride the magical rhythms with me. The White Paternoster is our song. The tree, it sang it for you. Helped you connect with us. Helped us get you out. The tree has taken your life-force in payment, to replenish what you used. It is a fair price, child, for services rendered."

And there it was. The condition that I knew was coming. It all sounded wholesome and good, but what about me?

Panic washed through me. Is this what it was going to be? A fight between Jonathan, and these guys, to possess whatever this power was. Either way they wanted to control me. To leave me bereft of what was mine.

The possessive tone of the woman's voice made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. She began chanting under her breath, those same words over and over. The distorted prayer. The lullaby that my mother sang to me as a child.

The White Paternoster.