Chapter 4 : Best Friends

"The countdown begins to
destroy ourselves."

Hero by Skillet

     "So, are you going to tell me what we're hunting?" Dean asked as I grabbed my pack from the backseat of the Impala

     "We're not hunting anything," I explained. "As far as I'm concerned, there is no we."

     Dean groaned and rounded the car as I got ready to walk to town. I honestly didn't give a rat's ass what his father wanted. There was no way in hell I was going anywhere with Dean Winchester.

     "You're not going to leave me alone, are you?" I asked him, coming to a dead stop and snapping around. He nearly walked right into me, and I pulled up my hands to keep him at a distance.

     "Not a chance," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, I'm your new best friend."

     I laughed, holding my hips as I keeled over dramatically.

     "What the hell is so funny?"

     "Winchester's don't have friends. They have casualties." He glared at me. "Look, Dean, I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, and I know all about you and your Dad. Everybody does, and they all have the same rule - Stay the fuck away from the Winchesters."

     "Then why were you working with my dad?"

     I sighed and dropped my bag on the ground in frustration. "I was desperate, and I took my chances. I thought he could help me finally end this."

      "I thought he was helping you?"

      "No, your father wasn't helping me, Dean. He was using me. All he wants is revenge, regardless of the price."

     "Isn't that what you want?" He snapped. "That's why you two teamed up in the first place?"

     The words dropped from his tongue like venom. He might have been pretending to be the strong little soldier, but deep down, I could tell he was hurt. His father had ignored him for months, and now he thought it was because of me.

     "Revenge isn't as sweet when you're dead, Dean" I looked him up and down as I pulled my pack over my shoulder. "I know I'm probably not gonna make it out of this fight alive, but I'm not dying because of some half-assed plan he came up with within a drunken stupor."

     "Listen, sweetheart," Dean growled. He pulled his gun on me, pointing it directly at my head. "I'm done with this bullshit. I'm stuck with you. You're stuck with me. Just get in the car."

     My full lips formed a smile, and he raised his brow at me as if he knew what was about to happen. He had balls, though. I had to give him that.

     "Shooting a woman in the head and disobeying Daddy all in one day? Look at you breaking the rules!"