20. Explanations

Rise and shine? More like caffeinate and hope for the best.

The next morning, I call my parents and we talk for hours. I even have my breakfast in my room. They tell me how they are holding up and I tell them about all that is going on.

Talking to them makes me realize that it is almost impossible for me to be without them. Whatever mess I am swept up in they are my rock. I need them. We really have to think of a way to work all of this out somehow.

"Life is full of risks, taking them is what life is about. Sometimes you might get hurt and sometimes you succeed but at the end of the day it's much better to live a fulfilled life than a contented one. It is made of moments. Take every moment you can and transform it into an opportunity to live life to its fullest, like you always do. I believe in you kiddo. I always have and always will. You'll make the right choices." Dad says at the end of our conversation.

"Thanks, dad that means a lot to me really. I love you." I say sincerely, feeling a heaviness settle on my heart.

"I love you too, sweetheart. Take care. And don't worry we'll try to be there soon." He promises.

Next, I make my way to my biological father's study. He isn't here yet so I decide to sit in the armchair and read one of the books from his shelf I find rather promising while waiting for him.

"That's a nice pick. I've found that book to be rather inspiring in days of hardship." The king remarks looking at the book in my hands while he stands in the doorway to the study.

He goes to sit behind his desk. "I take it. You must be here to talk about the prince of Silvia's presence?"

"Unannounced presence more likely." I retort.

"Yes whichever way you'll have it. I don't have a problem with that." He replies casually. His ginger hair swept sideways professionally and his hazel eyes, my eyes, looking at me adoringly.

"But I do! Inviting him here and then sending him to the carnival. Why would you do that? What are you playing at, your Majesty?" I inquire, rather harshly.

"Oh do you think this is a game? Certainly not, princess. All I want and wish for is your happiness." He remarks, folding his hands on the big mahogany table before him.

"Really? It doesn't seem like it. It seems like all you do is cause me trouble. Now how about that? A parent causing his child trouble? Never heard of such a thing before, yet here we are!" I spread out my hands for a more dramatic effect. "Just tell me the truth already! Please, what happened all those years ago? What is all this about?" I plead.

His face morphs into a sad faraway look. After a few seconds he finally sighs, "Salvador was your mother's childhood friend. He fell in love with her. I mean who wouldn't? She's a wonderful woman and I am really lucky to have her in my life." He smiles gently at the mention of the queen then slightly shakes his head and continues, "But she had always seen him as a brother and never a potential candidate for marriage. When she chose me, Salvador turned to the side of our enemies. Anger, failure and rejection made him so bitter that he lost all sense of right and wrong. Eventually he became the king of Ilias." He takes a deep breath like he's preparing himself for the next part, "The day you were born he invaded the palace. My home! Known to be the safest place in the whole kingdom. Invaded! As we ran towards the safe rooms with Alexius in my arms and your mother by my side I realised maybe it wasn't that safe. I realised I had failed as a king and as a father. Eleanor went into labour when we reached the safe room. We had no nurses or doctors just some of the help and some medical supplies. I hated myself. I was weak, incapable of protecting my own family. I felt so helpless. A king! Ha! Who couldn't even welcome his unborn child to the world in a more healthy and safer environment. I was a failure. I had failed you, your mother and my citizens." His anguish and guilt are so sincere that I can't stop myself from placing a hand over his. But he is so lost in his story that I don't think he even notices. "Salvador was arrested that day and put in our prison but he managed to escape with the help of some of his allies, another evidence of our weakness. After that, he vowed to kill every last evidence of our love. Alexius is the crown prince of Celia. Salvador already knew all about him. He recognised him. Apart from that, Celia needed him. There was no way the royal court would agree for him to go away from his duties. But you could still be saved. Alexius's fate was decided the day he was born but you could write your own destiny. Live your own life. Safely and happily." The look on his face right now is indescribable, I can feel the torment he's feeling just talking about this. "We hoped for some other way to save you but reports of sightings of Salvador in our kingdom grew frequent and hence there was no other choice left." He says helplessly and continues a little sadly, "When Salvador died a year ago, I can't tell you, how hard it was for me to stop myself from finding you. But did I have any right to? Would you accept us? I had my investigators get us some photos. You were happy and alive and so that was enough for us. Your mom and I knew we couldn't have you back and we mourned, but Alexius has always been stubborn. He wouldn't listen to anything we said. He had to get his sister here and so he did. Oh, how happy I was. Beyond ecstatic! Finally, we'd be together, the whole family. I chose your dresses, got you tiaras, imported the best horses and what not. But as I'd feared, you hated me. I failed to show you any fatherly affection and you just continued to see the king. Though these last few days have been a step in the right direction I would say." He sighs contentedly.

I am speechless to say the least. This may not be completely unexpected but it still is a lot to take in. Somewhere within me I knew there must be an explanation for all of this and now that I've heard it I feel guilty and I don't know what else.

Do I just forgive him though?

"What about Archer and the engagement?" I manage to ask feebly. If he cares for me so much then why do that?

He smiles ruefully, "When I saw you and Archer at the dance I thought you two looked marvelous together. So did his parents. I didn't want to take your freedom to choose your own partner away from you, but I also couldn't see you go through any kind of heartache boys out there can cause you. After all the sadness and confusion you've been through that was unacceptable! I know Archer would never do anything that would harm you even remotely, because I've known him since his childhood and believe me he is suited to be your perfect match." He finishes his explanation, a pained look marring his handsome features. He looks genuinely hurt and ashamed.

I want to comfort him, I do, but all I can think right now is: Alrighty right! Nope no!! What?Yeah..?!! Heee hhehh ooyeeaa!!?

Then..

I ran, that's what I did. There isn't even a thought about it. I just ran. What else could I do? I mean I couldn't even formulate a single coherent thought, talking seemed far out of my abilities right now.

I needed someone. Someone who could tell me what to think, say, hear, whatever. Someone who'd know how to take this and what to make of it all. I needed kinship.

I thought I was ready for the truth but it seemed as though I am far from it. This is way out of my league of capabilities. Everything is changing yet again. What I felt, what I thought. Somehow I had managed to get myself in more of a mess than ever before. Three cheers for me! You go Alexis!

On reaching Alexius's room I enter without knocking.

"What the..?"

"Wah..uh..we"

"Lex!"

I, Jenna and Alexius exclaim simultaneously. On entering, I'd seen them sitting on the floor very close to each other. They have built a house out of legos. The remaining toys are strewn around them.
Did I just interrupt something? What is the crown Prince doing? Playing with legos?

You don't have time for that. You just went through something very dramatic. Focus!