Basic Outlining

Yes, I know. Many of you will be grinding your teeth and checking to see if you can skip this part. Who really LOVES outlining? Certainly not me. But let me spin you a tale....

#1: Once upon a time, there were two Stars. One, in the infinite wisdom she possesed, said "Aha! I know what I shall do. I shall write the next great popular classic of all time, and everyone will love me and throw roses at me." So she pulled up her chair to her broken laptop, and began to type. After forty pages, she considered the story, as far as she had thought about it, complete, and was stumped. So she slapped a "The End' at the end, hid it in a book of Rembrandt, and never read it again. 

Let me give you a hint. This is the WRONG way to do it. And a true story.

#2: The other Star decided that she wanted to write a book. She loved the feeling of typing, of seeing characters come to life and converse all within her imagination, which somehow translated itself into a  book. She researched everything she needed to know, and finally sat down at the computer with a well worn notebook of research. And instead of typing the first sentence, she hesitantly pecked out these words. "Act One". At the end of 50,000 words, she looked over her blotted manuscript and decided to edit it.

Cheesiness aside, these are both true stories. I tried to write a castaway book a year ago, after watching the TV show LOST. And so one day, I just started. I'm guessing most to all of you are much smarter then me and know that is the wrong way to do it. 

Outlining doesn't have to be your worst enemy, who restricts your creativity and forces you into a writer's box. I have found it, as much as I want to skip it and start the story right away, immensely helpful. You don't have to have it look like this.

I.

    A. Plot point

        i. minuscule point

            a. even tinier point

My outlines are just  major points:

>Kane and Avalynne escape the army during a battle

>Kane is taken by the enemy as a POW

>Avalynne runs away with Zoe

etc. 

Different people have different outlines. Really creative people might go for a more visual outline, with colors, numbers, and different heights drawn on the paper representing the points, character arcs, etc. More organized people might prefer the traditional outline, where they can plan everything out beforehand. Some people just write a 'laundry list' of what they think might happen, and change it as they go. Don't restrain yourself to one traditional outline and lose the fun and creative work it can be.

Even basic outlining will help you. I am 99% sure. It doesn't have to put you off, and doing the work beforehand can guarantee you're going to stick to the plot, instead of writing like a maniac for three days and then getting the writer blues and throwing it in the trashcan/fire/out the window/your preferred way of disposal.

Got some things for me to add? Comment and tell me. I'm no expert :)