3

As the lecture dragged on, I couldn't help but get distracted. I had a bit of a headache coming on, with the cut on my head stinging a little, and I was tired, so daydreaming throughout wasn't exactly difficult. Whenever I realised I'd missed something important, I would attempt to retract my focus back on what Peter was saying, but it only led me into another daydream. I thought coming here would help me keep my thoughts off what happened that night, but I couldn't stop thinking about the man who was staring at me this morning. Was it the same man from the dream? How could it be? I'd never seen him before in my life.

Had I?

"Hey, you coming?" Kate snapped me out of my reverie, and I realised that near enough the whole lecture theatre had been emptied of people. I just frowned, wondering how I hadn't heard everyone leave, as I packed away my blank notebook and pen.

"Are you good?" Sunny asked, as I stood up.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired, I guess."

"Hmm, okay." Sunny didn't sound so sure, but then again, neither did I. "Well, I'll see you guys later."

"Bye." I said, as Sunny left.

"Millie." I heard my name being called at the front of the lecture hall, and turned to see Peter looking at me expectantly. He then motioned for me to go to him.

I looked at Kate. "I guess I'll see you later." I said to her.

She smiled, and then left me as I walked down to where Peter was sitting.

"How are you holding up?" Peter asked, as I approached him. He was a middle aged guy, who although made all the content of his lectures hard, seemed like a nice man. His face would wrinkle up every time he smiled, making me think that he was someone who smiled often. His short, grey hair was receding from his hairline, and was starting to go at the back, too.

I tried my best to smile. "I'm okay." I wasn't quite sure whether I was lying or not. Was I okay?

Peter smiled, pursing his lips together, obviously not quite sure with my answer either. "Look, I understand that you probably don't want to talk about it, and that's okay." He said. "But, I want you to know that there are people at the university who are trained to help people who have gone through situations like you have. Perhaps you don't even want to think about that right now, but in time, you might. All the staff here are free to talk, including me."

I took a discrete but deep breath, suddenly feeling my head begin to hurt more. I was almost struggling to stay awake, as my eyelids began to feel heavy.

"Thanks, Peter." I said, wanting to leave as soon as possible. I really needed some air.

"Are you feeling alright?" Peter asked, giving me a concerned look.

I tried my best to laugh it off. "Yeah, I'm fine." I was well aware of the bead of sweat making its way down the side of my head, and of the sudden increase of my heart rate. The palms of my hands grew sweaty, and I felt the t-shirt under my jumper begin to stick to my skin.

"Perhaps you should sit down?" Peter suggested, but I wanted nothing more than to go outside. For the fresh air to hit me and cool me down.

"I'm fine." I said, as I turned and began to walk out of the room- but, before I'd even taken a step, the ground seemed to come rushing towards my face and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

__________

"Millie?" I could hear Peter's voice in the distance.

"Millie?" There is was again, only louder this time. "Millie, can you hear me?"